• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by tworanger

1. tworanger

Ranger vs explorer tow rig

I have a well maintained 97 ranger with 104,xxx miles with the 4.0 ohv, 5r55e, 4x4, 3.73 axle and the manual says it's rated for 5600lbs with a maximum of 50sq ft of frontal area. It has the tranny cooler in the radiator and a hitch, did this era actually have an official towing package? I am...
  2. tworanger

infamous 97 4.0 lean codes

My 1997 ranger just starting throwing the p0171/p0174 codes-does ford or any aftermarket company sell a kit of gaskets to solve this issue? Fordparts.com has a couple kits and i would prefer to use ford brand because of the rubber gasket instead of the cork. I also noticed that they have two...
  3. tworanger

M5OD/Driveshaft viabration

I have had a vibration and harshness problem for the past couple years and have been trying to chase it down. the vibration only shows up in 3,4, & 5th gears when accelerating or decelerating(using the engine as a brake). The noise is the loudest between 25-55 mph. The ranger is an extended...
  4. tworanger

F150 towing f-1

In a couple months i will be needing to tow a 49 ford F-1 from washington to Kansas. The f150 is a 97, 4.6 v8, 3.55 gears, 4x4, extened cab. I will be using an 18' flatbed double axle trailer for the F-1. The F-1's bed is rusted out so that will stay in WA along with the fuel tank and stuff...
  5. tworanger

malfunctioning tailights

just lately my 91 ranger has been having problems with the tailights, problem is it doesn't occur all the time. We discovered it when the passenger side blinker/brakelight wouldn't illuminate, and when it's acting up it seems to only malfunction when the other blinker/brakelight is also...
  6. tworanger

Ford Stereo Blue Backlit

I have a 97 Ranger xlt and it came with the standard with the am/fm Cassette player. I would like to replace it with a qualtiy ford stereo to keep it looking stock. My problem is that the truck has the blue dash lights, not the green that it seems most came with. I would like to replace it...
  7. tworanger

rough steering

I have a 91 2wd ranger with 175,000 miles, the suspension is stock but i have put 15" wheels from a new ranger in place of the stock 14". For the past couple thousand miles when i turn the wheel at slow speeds, such as in a parking lot or turning into a driveway there seems to be a rough...
  8. tworanger

what transmision will fit

I have a 1991 2wd. 2.3 liter with the manual transmission. What years/engines would i be able to buy another transmission from. Anyhelp would be great, thanks
  9. tworanger

radiator drain plug broke

I turned my radiator drain plug head with my hand and the head broke off, it's ok for now but how would i go about removing the threaded shank? Where would be the best place to pick up a new plug?
  10. tworanger

Possible wrong Power steering fluid?

I just replaced my power steering pump and put in CarQuest brand power steering fluid, unable to check the specifications when buying it i later found out it met different requirements. Will this hurt the system, it still meets a ford standard but the code it different. Everything it woking...
  11. tworanger

newer model mirrors on 97 ranger

i have a 97 rnager with the small manual mirrors. My question is what would it take to get the larger stock mirrors to fit? Would it be a direct replacement? If so what year of mirrors will fit, 93-06? I could get some for a 98 and later and was wondering if they would fit. Any help would...
  12. tworanger

Transmission indicator

I have a 2000 Ranger with the 5r55e. my problem is that the little orange indiator is not positioned right. In Park it indicates "R", in reverse the indicator is on "N", and so on. It goes through all the gear setting just the pointer is wrong. what will it take to fix this, any help is...
  13. tworanger

2003 explorer squeal

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer with the 4.0, 4wd, 93,000 miles, and the trannhy fluid has been chnged at 60,000 miles. when traveling around 45-50 and you floor it, the tranny downshifts to second and squeals until it upshifts to third. the first time i noticed it i was accelerating on a highway...
  14. tworanger

Synthetic or conventional?

I have a 97 Ranger, 4.0L, auto, 4wd with 64,000 miles. I have heard that the 4.0 has problems with lubrication in the head and that valve guides go at 150,000 or so. Is this true and if it is my next question is if it would be smart to use a synthetic oil. I know you should use conventional...
  15. tworanger

5R55E adaptive shift control

I have a 1997 Ranger with the 4.0 and 5r55e tranny. I have heard a lot about this "Adaptive Shift Control" and was wondering when ford started using this technology in these transmisions, does mine have it? If anyone has any info or knows where i can find some that would be a great help, thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad