• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by traildog

1. traildog

Doing a bunch of work on 4.0 SOHC, should I replace fuel injectors while I'm at it?

Thanks guys. I'll go for the injector cleaner and leave them alone if at all possible. I've got some decent oil leaks in a couple places around the valve cover, and the nub that holds the PCV valve into the back of the driver's side valve cover is stripped (had to glue the PCV in in with RTV to...
  2. traildog

Doing a bunch of work on 4.0 SOHC, should I replace fuel injectors while I'm at it?

Truck has ~160k miles and I'm going to do some more towing this summer, so I'm doing a pretty thorough service with timing chain tensioners, water pump, thermostat and housing, valve cover and intake manifold gaskets, etc. Should I replace fuel injectors or leave them alone? Engine runs well...
  3. traildog

Cyclical revving at idle

just for posterity this fix is holding 7 months later
  4. traildog

Cyclical revving at idle

Hey I think that worked! Replaced the TPS and cleaned the MAF after work. Initially no change but after a cross town drive it seems the ECU adjusted parameters and it's running normal. Fingers crossed it holds. Thanks!
  5. traildog

Cyclical revving at idle

Been awhile since I was on this forum, but looking for some diagnostic help. My 4.0 has developed an idle problem, which I assumed to be a vacuum leak as it's had a few of those in the past. But the carb cleaner/propane test doesn't bump up the rpms and if I disconnect the IAC it dies...
  6. traildog

Tow package 4x4 = rough ride?

Thanks JohnnyO, that's super helpful.
  7. traildog

3rd Ranger in a row

Hello, Just picked up the newest in a succession of Rangers - '89 2.3L 2wd, '02 2.3L 2wd, now '02 4.0L FX4 with 111xxx miles. The only model of vehicle I've owned for the last 10 years, and finally got one with A/C. Each one keeps getting slightly more expensive, which is a given when the first...
  8. traildog

Thanks, sounds like ID'ing the torsion bars is a good place to start. I carry a load in the bed from time to time, and tow just enough that I wouldn't want it to be a complete noodle. The Rancho RS9000s have an adjustable compression knob, apparently takes them from OEM soft to...
  9. traildog

Hello, Just upgraded my clapped out '02 2wd 2.3L Ranger to an '02 4wd 4.0L Ranger with 110xxx miles. The one I picked up has both the offroad package and the tow package- it's got the torsion bar front suspension, there's no rear sway bar, and the shocks are stock Motorcraft. I'm not an...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad