• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by thirdslide

1. Torsen 8.8 4.10, pinion nut walked off...

Oooo, also - I'd love to see a video of a tear-down. Anybody know of one?
  2. Torsen 8.8 4.10, pinion nut walked off...

Hey folks - I'm the OP and I've got an update. Got everything cleaned up, installed, and buttoned up. FYI - I make a mistake earlier: this diff calls for 75W-140, not 90W-140. Anyways - for the most part - the truck is smooth when driving straight down the road, which makes me thing our...
  3. Torsen 8.8 4.10, pinion nut walked off...

Thanks everybody. I really appreciate the advice. The tag calls for 90w-140, so I'll use synthetic Valvoline. My guess on the nut is that somebody had this apart in the past, reused the bolt and crush, and didn't loctite the bolt down. I can't imagine another scenario where that bolt walks off...
  4. Torsen 8.8 4.10, pinion nut walked off...

Those are definitely more than "scuffs". "Gouges" seems almost right, maybe a little heavy-handed. My primary concern was the weight of the diff being off-balance, but it is uniformly distributed around the circumference of the carrier, and the same with the pinion, so my instinct is that it's...
  5. Torsen 8.8 4.10, pinion nut walked off...

Thanks Eric! Very much obliged for the second look. And thank you for serving, brother. I appreciate you. I'm definitely going to replace the nut/crush with new. I'll update the post with our results in case anybody else runs into this.
  6. Torsen 8.8 4.10, pinion nut walked off...

Hey guys and gals! First, thanks to everyone for posting so much valuable information. I'm working on a buddy's truck (a cherry 2003 FX4 LII with 102k, manual gearbox + stick transfer case selector) and I've gleaned some pretty valuable information here. Awesome forum! Anyways, he called and...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad