• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by Steve1950

1. 2.3L ('83-'97) 89 Ranger electrical problem

Here is a photo of the old Ranger you helped today. THANKS The photo is of the good side other side has some door jam damage no easy fix. My son bought this truck maybe 20 years ago. He lets me use it every once in a while. Lots and lots of miles on the original 2.3. Tranny is a little...
  2. 2.3L ('83-'97) 89 Ranger electrical problem

All works now. So I am new at this site. How do I give you points for your expert advice? Thanks
  3. 2.3L ('83-'97) 89 Ranger electrical problem

:)SOOOO I will try plugging a flasher in the back side. I will give it a try
  4. 2.3L ('83-'97) 89 Ranger electrical problem

A new heavy duty flasher did not fix the problem. So I am trying to figure out the 12v flow through the fuse panel. On the back side of the fuse panel where all the wires come in I get a good solid 12v reading on the metal contact behind where the green with red stripe wire and the red with...
  5. 2.3L ('83-'97) 89 Ranger electrical problem

Lossened up fuse panel to get a good look at the back. Nothing on the back side except wires coming in. Taking a closer look at one of the wiring diagrams I suspect possibly the flasher is bad. I am heading off to auto zone to get a heavy duty flasher. Wouldn't that be nice if that was the...
  6. 2.3L ('83-'97) 89 Ranger electrical problem

Thanks for the replys guys. The wiring diagram is better than the one I have. I will work on this problem when I have time. Definatly want to look at the fuse area and look for that other flasher. I will get back to you when I figure anything out.
  7. Oil Gauge wonky. Sensor or Sending Unit?

Hey Dude, I don't know anything about your oil pan sensor I just know a little about the oil pressure sender units that screw into the block. If your wire is grounding out anywhere it will cause the gauge to read possibly inaccuratly. If you had a needle gauge it would peg out if you grounded...
  8. 2.3L ('83-'97) 89 Ranger electrical problem

89 Ford Ranger; no brake lights turn signals or flashers. I pulled flasher unit out probed for 12v no 12v with engine off. I am assuming one of the contacts should have 12v so flahers can work when vehicle is not running. I don't get 12v with engine off. Start the truck up and I get 12v to...
  9. 1989 ranger crank position senser question

I set the AUX shaft straight up, 12:00 o'clock. Crank & Cam on TDC position. Carefully installed new CPS, I even followed directions. Truck runs fine now. CPS was bad. Lesson to be learned do the job right the first time. Working in the dark doesn't help either. Thanks for following Mr...
  10. 1989 ranger crank position senser question

A little update. Put the aux shaft at 12degrees. Double checked crank & cam position, right on. No start. Just hard crank with slight missfires. Sounds like timing is way off. So I disconnected CPS and motor cranks fine, normal. No start of course due to no CPS. I am assuming CPS is...
  11. 1989 ranger crank position senser question

Wow Thanks I will check AUX gear I was not aware that AUX gear had to be in any particular position I will also double check and make sure I am on the compression stroke for #1. I will look for a mark on the AUX gear and set it at 12:00.
  12. 1989 ranger crank position senser question

Thanks for the additional information. I know it is a dumb question, but can the cam shaft be 180 off? While replacing the timing belt the motor was rotated with no belt on. I put crank on TDC and put cam mark on pointer when reassembling. I am fairly certain #1 was on compression stroke...
  13. 1989 ranger crank position senser question

Thanks Ron for the info. Pulled out #1plug cranked the motor a little and got a good compression pop so figured it was TDC compression stroke. Set crank right on TDC mark and put cam on mark. Before putting the belt cover and belt pullies on thought I would test and see how it would run just...
  14. 1989 ranger crank position senser question

It without a doubt has CPS sensor. Possibly the engine may not be original for that year. Vehicle is highly modified. My son bought it second hand over 10 years ago so modification history is unknown. It appears to be stock 1989. I believe that was first year CPS was used. California...
  15. 1989 ranger crank position senser question

Hi Guys, I am "helping" my 40 year old son with his 89 ranger. Lots of miles on this jacked up truck. Not jacked up bad but literally jacked up. The body is lifted making it hard for an older guy like me to get inside. Anyway I like to borrow the truck every once in a while so I try to help...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad