• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by Sharky146

1. Sharky146

Burning smell after clutch replacement

I forgot to mention that the transmission shifts very smoothly, clutch pedal engages in the right spot, and there are no unusual noises. Other than the burning smell, it runs great!
  2. Sharky146

Burning smell after clutch replacement

Hey guys. The Problem: My truck smells like burning transmission fluid when at highway speeds above 50 mph. There are no visible fluid leaks. I can only smell it with the windows down, but it’s a pretty strong smell. I don’t notice it at all below 50 mph. This smell started right after...
  3. Sharky146

Ranger Center Console Armrest Fix

Great! Good luck on your project.
  4. Sharky146

Ranger Center Console Armrest Fix

Hey guys. Every Ranger I’ve owned had a cracked, worn out center console armrest. Usually I try to find a decent junkyard armrest, but they’re generally disgusting from 20 years of someone’s arm grease. So, this time I decided to repair my armrest and made a short YouTube tutorial. It’s...
  5. Sharky146

No compression in 4.0 SOHC

That’s great news RonD. I do have 4.10 gear now. Thanks for the info!
  6. Sharky146

Like the headliner?
  7. Sharky146

OK, I just picked up the 2008 4.0 from the mustang for $800. While driving home I had a thought. So, I own a few Rangers. I was originally planning to put this engine in 2001 2WD Ranger. One of my other Rangers is a 2006 four-wheel-drive with 203,000 miles. I plan to sell the 2WD , Ranger and I...
  8. Sharky146

Ok, thanks for the info. I’ll probably pick up the 08 motor.
  9. Sharky146

Hey guys. Here's an update. I got the heads back from the machine shop. They ended up doing a valve job, replaced the seals and resurfaced the heads. They also needed to replace all the exhaust valves, which were bent. As I mentioned before, I replace all the timing components as well. I...
  10. Sharky146

Thanks guys. I dropped the heads off at the machine shop. They’re going to fix them up for me. I think the pistons are fine. I’m going to gamble on the bottom end. I’ll put it back together when I get the heads back. I’ll report back with the status. Thanks again!
  11. Sharky146

I pulled one head and it looks like the exhausts valves are all bent. There are some light witness marks on the top of the cylinders, but nothing that really look too bad to me. I called my local head shop and he said it would cost about $350-400 for a valve job and to have them resurfaced...
  12. Sharky146

Ok, thank you for the info. I'll pull the heads and have a look. If everything is in bad shape, I'll likely send her to the junkyard. She's not worth a rebuilt motor and it seems like these 4.0s had a lot of timing problems, so I'm not sure I want to take a chance on a junkyard motor. I'll...
  13. Sharky146

Gotcha. I'll pull the heads and have a look. Besides cracked pistons, what else should I be looking for under the heads? If the valves were bent, does that mean the heads are shot, or can they be rebuilt with new valves and guides?
  14. Sharky146

Yes, I used the starter to check the compression before I pulled the motor. Zero compression.
  15. Sharky146

Bgunner, I didn't see your reply prior to sending my last post. I guess I'll need to pull the heads and see what damage I've got in there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad