• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by RJMacReady

1. RJMacReady

The Rattling Ranger Part 2: Clutch Slipping after Oil Change

I did hit it with the torch a few times. Didn't want to budge :( But the correct size wrench was barely making contact so its pretty deformed.
  2. RJMacReady

I'll definitely give it a try. Everything up to this point has been relatively easy. This is the first spot that's really made me feel totally stuck and started to test my resolve. I'm gonna keep trying though.
  3. RJMacReady

Rear driveshaft is indexed and removed, but the last bolt on my front driveshaft is totally rounded out. It has a t-star shaped slot but that slot is also filled in with a broken off piece of metal. I'm really struggling with what to do here. I tried * Turning with an open ended wrench, but...
  4. RJMacReady

There is a second flange where the driveshaft goes into the transfer case that has 12 point bolts on it that are smaller than 10mm. I guessed they're 9s. Probably should have measured.. we'll see when my wrench gets dropped off today. I put some whiteout on the shaft so I could line it up the...
  5. RJMacReady

Well, I got it drained. Got all the bolts off the driveshaft flange, had to give it some taps to get it loose on the back. Mine has another flange on the other side so I guess its not the kind you can just slip out. Those are 12 point bolts but smaller than my 10mm, so I assume their 9mms? I...
  6. RJMacReady

Have a good laugh at me, my 4x4 lever was just slipped in the wrong spot. Clutch was working after that. Turns out there were too rattles. Tightening the bolts fixed on of them. The other is related to throttle. I did a diagnostic test from my transmission rebuild book where you stop, put it in...
  7. RJMacReady

Can you identify that rattle?

I solved it. I mentioned it in the main thread for doing my clutch change but just to explain here for future forum searchers: This sound was loose bolts on transmission and starter mount. EDIT: OK There's a second rattle actually. Tightening the bolts fixed the rattle that you can hear when...
  8. RJMacReady

I figured it out! The rattle was 2 transmission housing bolts that were loose, and one starter mounting bolt that was loose. After tightening them up, things sound great now. So there's that mystery. Still no way around doing this clutch kit now, but I'm just about ready to dive into it.
  9. RJMacReady

Good idea. I'm probably not going anywhere with my clutch slipping but I have a nozzle for the garden hose. I'll hose it down and see how it looks after that!
  10. RJMacReady

This is the transmission jack I bought. A friend convinced me to try to go up a tier from the harbor freight one I was looking at. I like that the knob that lets it down is very controllable. I should be able to control the speed that it lowers instead of just dropping it.
  11. RJMacReady

Bear in mind in the bellhousing pic, I did wipe it down very clean before I took the picture. There were a lot more drips there before I started. Here's a pic of my transfer case. It's a Borg-Warner 13-50.
  12. RJMacReady

I've been asking questions in a few different threads, I'm going to keep them in one thread here where I'll detail my attempt to change my clutch. A huge adventure for a very simple man. I'm going to get some good pictures of everything disassembled and see if I can figure out what the other...
  13. RJMacReady

I kind of hustled to put the plug back in before the stuff got all over the driveway so I'm not totally sure how over full it was. Feels like about a half cup or so came out before I got the plug back in. I figured I may as well change it while I'm screwing with it since the cars over 100k miles...
  14. RJMacReady

Transfer case is a Borg-Warner 13-50. Following the instructions in one of my manuals, I opened up the check/fill plug (the higher one of the two) to check the fluid level and fluid started pouring out. I assume filling beyond the fill line is probably bad?
  15. RJMacReady

I got under there today! Rattle is absolutely coming from the transfer case at the rear of the transmission, not the starter/bell housing area.. That makes sense because previous owner told me there were problems with the 4 HI.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad