• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by professor229

1. Tire Storage...

Where I live in Minnesota we have a storage problem.... I am looking into all possibilities and have two sets of tires for most of my vehicles... summer and winter tires.... right now I have two sets of tires in an Arrow metal shed but need the room in that shed. My idea was to buy two...
  2. U joints

It is very possible that the frame was bent but I was told that the truck slid into the ditch, went on the passenger side and it was simply pushed upright.... lots of damage to the passenger side box and front fender... no damage to the door... But this is not a big deal.... so will get the U...
  3. U joints

Hey.... thanks for the great information!!! So here is what I did and am going to do... Fed Ex just emailed that my U joints will be here on Wednesday from Rock Auto.... and I suspected that this driveshaft was unique because of the 7 foot bed length... and have dealt with this before. There was...
  4. U joints

That is exactly what I intend to do as well.... My Dad's head mechanic had a way with U joints.... it was called a couple of sockets and a hammer....... I also have a very large C clamp..... and my only fear is getting too aggressive.. and breaking the drive shaft..... Anything else I should...
  5. New Ignition Key

I got the key cut at the local old school hardware store.... very reputable.... very knowledgable... and the gal that cut the key knew what she was doing.... $3... got home, and tried the key in the door lock first and it worked to lock/unlock the doors so if all else fails, I can hide this key...
  6. U joints

Hey!!! thanks.... I went back to Rock Auto to look/think about some of their listings and think I have this figured out.... Please check out the attached shot of the Rock Auto listing... The top/first entry is for 4WD (and I don't have 4WD)....... and check out the part number..... Then the...
  7. U joints

I saw the picture of the ball joint press..... and most videos show the DIY guys using a large vise and two sockets like we did back in the 60s...... My problem is that I don't have access to a large vise and I don't think my vise has a large enough opening to even consider this.... and, I...
  8. U joints

Good morning.... I still have some noise coming from the back end and am pretty sure that it is the U joints.... and with 106,000 miles on it, the time has come... I have NOT replaced U joints in anything for over 30 years... probably closer to 40 years ago.... so I need a refresher and...
  9. New Ignition Key

Thought I would take a chance and ordered a key blank for my 2004 Ranger.... supposedly, you take this key to a good old fashioned hardware store to have it manually cut/duplicated..... and we have a fantastic old fashioned store near us.... So this afternoon I took one of the two original keys...
  10. Sounds like a belt chirp

I agree..... and still don't know specifically what is/was chirping.... a "leftover" from the balancing device that was removed in the past, or perhaps it is actually one of the U joints going bad but usually that results in a clunk sound followed by vibration and then you replace both U...
  11. Sounds like a belt chirp

Hey... don't have to..... I fabricated a part of my son's tractor's hydraulic joystick and that went so well that I crawled under the Ranger in the driveway to take a look and saw two things immediately... one, there was some kind of "lube" that had been sprayed on the front and rear of the...
  12. Sounds like a belt chirp

I watched a video of a "collar" on the driveshaft that had come loose and the guy removed the collar and said this was a common problem on Rangers with over 100K miles on them and most times, they are not replaced.... They are simply a means to balance the drive shaft with holes drilled in them...
  13. Sounds like a belt chirp

I have eliminated the cam sensor and idler pulley/belts etc. because the chirp is not coming from the engine compartment.... and you can open the hood and rev the engine all day and there is no chirp... drop the shift lever in gear and start driving and the chirp is very pronounced and the chirp...
  14. Sounds like a belt chirp

I thought about this chirp all the way to the lake.... and AlwaysFloored said it best... The chirp gets faster/slower relative to the gas pedal.... and 40 years ago I would have figured this out a lot faster... A lot of our golf course equipment had a grease zerk on the U joint knuckles... and...
  15. Sounds like a belt chirp

I also had a chirp.... first gear and it was a pronounced chirp... I thought from the engine compartment.... and when the tranny hit second, the chirp minimized to almost nothing... suspected belt or idler pulley... but then got to researching about the cam sensor problem and watched a few...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad