• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by pacnwranger

1. pacnwranger

Speakers for 86 STX?

Here's a pic of one of the rear speakers (still wired to the plastic 'cabinet' that goes just behind the seat) and one of the front in-dash speakers. Fronts are 3.2 ohms and rear @ 6 ohms. The front speakers are still in great shape and the back ones just need new foam surrounds, which I've...
  2. pacnwranger

Speakers for 86 STX?

I managed to remove one of the rear speakers. Looks like it is 6 ohms. I may try to rebuild them with new foam 'surrounds.'
  3. pacnwranger

Speakers for 86 STX?

Again, thanks to all for your replies. I did a little research regarding classic car speakers. Apparently, the change from 8 ohms to 4 was sometime in the 1980s. Several sites discuss this, e.g., http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm. According to this, there is risk of damaging the radio...
  4. pacnwranger

Speakers for 86 STX?

Thanks all for the feedback. I'll go hunting for speakers. Does anyone know if the ohms rating was 8 back then? How critical would that be for the stereo? (Previous owner of this truck installed a vinyl tonneau cover, hence the snaps on the side. Works well in warm summer months!)
  5. pacnwranger

Speakers for 86 STX?

Hi Everyone, I have an original stereo radio in my '86 Ranger STX, with two speakers in-dash and two in the boxes mounted behind the seats. The speakers are in need of replacement and I'd like to keep the system close to stock. Any recommendations on speakers? Thanks! Dave
  6. pacnwranger

Stalls at idle when warm...

Thank you! I might have another in the garage. Will give that a try this evening!
  7. pacnwranger

Stalls at idle when warm...

Greetings Everyone! My '86 2.9 STX automatic is giving me fits when it gets warm. It has stalled several times in stop/go traffic - including once in the McDonald's drive-thru! :( It seems to run well until it heats up and then will stall during idle. Won't restart until it cools off after...
  8. pacnwranger

'86 STX intermittent wiper not working

Thanks for the word. The Chilton and Haynes books I've got don't even mention the part. Trying to remember where I read about it... :rolleyes:
  9. pacnwranger

'86 STX intermittent wiper not working

Hi Everyone, My wipers on my '86 2.9 automatic STX work on slow and fast but not on intermittent. I have searched threads for a similar problem but so far have come up blank. The truck sat for a long time (as in years!). I suspect the governor switch, which, I think is above left knee under...
  10. pacnwranger

Inertia switch wires get hot!

Glad to tell of the experience. And, BTW, removing the bed was the easiest thing about this whole process. I think it definitely helped the task. But now I've discovered a major tranny leak. I suspect front seal. Will search threads...
  11. pacnwranger

Long overdue update here... had family from 'out-of-town' (Heck, out of country!) for several weeks. I replaced both the fuel tank and both pumps. Yes, the inside of the tank was corroded! It now runs well and said wires are barely warm! Thanks so much for the help! (And I had good muscle...
  12. pacnwranger

Thank you. My guess is that it is the in-tank pump. This truck sat for 20 years (!). After the swap I ran fuel through the lines before connecting them. Gas was a little brown at first, then cleared up. I did put in about 5 gallons of new gas before starting the 'new' engine. I do some...
  13. pacnwranger

Update on my '86... I started it and let it idle for about 5 minutes. Not much changed. The 2 blue wires to the starter relay (1358) were too hot to touch, as were the wires to the inertia switch. The connector for the inertia wires (seen in picture 1357) began to smoke before I shut it all...
  14. pacnwranger

Thank you! Will give it a go this evening!
  15. pacnwranger

Ron, One more thing, and this is a 'longshot...' The only connection I felt unsure about after I swapped engines was an orange wire coming out of the harness very near to the TFI module. The only logical place for it was to a waiting 10mm bolt into the rear of the engine block near the #3...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad