• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by Mrtin

1. Mrtin

Another Spare Question

I know talk of fitting full-size spares gets covered a lot on TRS, but I have not found this particular question addressed. I apologize in advance if this is well worn territory. My stock tire size is 265/75 15. I bought the truck used and it was running 31X10.5 and did not have a spare. I went...
  2. Mrtin

What's normal for a radiator hose?

Hey folks. Recently bought a '95 with the 4.0 and am messing with the cooling system. With the engine up to temperature the upper radiator hose is quite hot to the touch like normal, but doesn't feel full of fluid. Neither does the lower radiator hose for that matter. I was concerned that...
  3. Mrtin

Is this a bleeding issue?

Just replaced my transmission, a 2wd R1. Also replaced clutch, flywheel, master and slave. I'm having trouble shifting, particularly into second and third. The pedal is firm all the way to the ground and I have no problem shifting into first or reverse, nor into fourth or fifth. It does not...
  4. Mrtin

R1 speedometer '92 for '98

Hi all. I've got a 1992 2wd R1. My transmission recently went out. I found a great deal on a used R1 from 1998. I know that '98 Rangers have a very different speedometer set up that does not go into the tail housing like the old days. I also noticed that the tail housing of the 98 did have a...
  5. Mrtin

new flywheel problems

Hey folks. I'm installing a new flywheel on my 1992 2wd 2.3l liter manual R1. I am having great trouble lining up the flywheel. I can get at most four out of six bolts in place. I started to wonder if maybe I had a flywheel with a staggered bolt pattern. I double checked the parts number I...
  6. Mrtin

Another oil filter horror story

Hey folks. This happened a while back and just thought I'd add it to the pile of stories out there. I generally do my own oil. I was far from home, about 1K miles far, and needed an oil change before hitting the road again. Went to a cheap oil change shop, everything was fine. Went to change my...
  7. Mrtin

shifter stub swap?

The situation is this. 1992 with M50d-R1 two-wheel drive. Transmission is done for. Secured a replacement, also R1 two-wheel but from a 1998. The groove and slot on the shifter stub, where the large shifter lever attaches, is of a different orientation and therefore will not fit the lever in...
  8. Mrtin

R1 output shaft bushing

Hi all. I've got 1992 2wd M50D-R1 Pulled the output seal today. Had a hard time of it but got it free. In the process some errant strikes of a screw driver landed blows to the area past (ie inside of) the seal I was removing. It looks like a brass bushing or sleeve. I've put a few nicks in it...
  9. Mrtin

R1 housing leak; shop advice

Hello all. I've got a 1992 2wd 2.3 liter with the M50D-R1 transmission. I very recently started hearing a classic input bearing noise, which is to say I hear a whine increase with RPM in all gears except 4th. I decided to get down and check the fluid levels, found the entire transmission and...
  10. Mrtin

what is this supposed to look like?

I'm putting my spindles back in with new ball joints and can't for the life of me get the rubber to sit against the I-beam. Now it occurs to me that I can't really think of a reason it SHOULD sit against the I-beam. Am I correct in thinking that rubber boot is really just to protect the greased...
  11. Mrtin

Do I need this part?

when this broke apart on one side of my truck I decided I probably didn't need it. Now that I've got the other side opened up I'm having doubts. I think this has been covered on a different forum but I really can't be sure it was the same part in question, as the photos are all now dead links in...
  12. Mrtin

yet another ball joint question

Been working in my '92 2WD Thanks to the help of this forum I've got the spindle off my I-beam, with the ball joints in it. Now I need to press the ball joints out but have some question. I read another thread that indicated, on a genII, to get the ball joints out they are both pressed...
  13. Mrtin

getting to the ball joints

I hesitate to even post this, because I think I'm probably overlooking something very simple. I'm trying to remove my ball joints on a '92 2WD. It's my understanding that to do this I need to remove the spindle, then press the joints out of the I-beam. I've also read a lot on here about the...
  14. Mrtin

removing inner bearings

Hi all. I'm in the middle of replacing my front bearings on my 1992 RWD and can't figure out how to remove the inner bearing. I've got the rotor off, with everything removed except the races, and the inner bearing. I thought that I had removed the grease seal, though there is clearly something...
  15. Mrtin

Packing Tie-Rod Ends

I'm replacing all of my tie rods, drag link etc. I've been buying parts in a kind of piecemeal fashion from various manufacturers. Now that I've got them all, I notice a difference among them. Some of the rubber ball joints on the ends are easy to lift up, and are full of grease. Others cannot...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad