• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by Mrich1510

1. To rebuild or not to rebuild

So, just got into a motorcycle accident so I now have a lot of time to work on the truck… going back to timing, when I remove the vacuum adv line from the distributor and check the timing, what should the timing read? It’s currently set at 20. Is that right? Should it be lower?
  2. To rebuild or not to rebuild

So I just filled up the tank and drove it around. Once I get to about 2000 RPMS, The engine starts sputtering and completely loses power to matter the gear I’m in (1st, 2nd, and 3rd). So I’m thinking it could be that it’s running too lean? Or maybe too rich? I’m not sure
  3. Manual Transmission Sputtering

So when I say losing power, The RPMs are staying the same so the engine is functioning normally but it’s almost as if the transmission “disconnects” itself somehow and then grabs again.
  4. Manual Transmission Sputtering

So I purchased my ‘84 Ranger a week ago and the guy told me the transmission was acting weird. So once I got the engine running, I took it for a spin and while accelerating in 1st, I noticed the truck completely loses power and when it regains power it sputters. 2nd gear is good until about...
  5. To rebuild or not to rebuild

UPDATE #2 So I got the truck running and it drove around the neighborhood. Now I need to move onto the transmission… I know this isn’t the right thread but 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears sputter almost like it’s not “grabbing”? I tried to pull onto a busy road and lost all power to the transmission...
  6. To rebuild or not to rebuild

-Compression is between 120-130psi -Fuel is DEFINITELY flammable:LOL: -Starter fluid doesn’t help I guess I’ll have to work on the timing… Is Messing with the distributor the only solution? Or should I mess with any of the belts?
  7. To rebuild or not to rebuild

UPDATE: So I replaced The spark plugs and plug wires. Tightened the valve covers to spec, and just completed a compression test, all passed. So I have spark, compression, and fuel. With it being a carbureted engine I presume I’m getting air to the engine. Still nothing…. I’m at a loss at this...
  8. To rebuild or not to rebuild

Thanks Robbie, So I drained the oil last night and it was pretty with 2 or 3 small (super super fine) metal shavings. The radiator is about half full with coolant with no signs of oil. I planned on running a compression test today after work but I noticed that oil is all over the place mainly...
  9. To rebuild or not to rebuild

Okay so I’ve run into an issue. A week ago I purchased a 1984 Ranger with the 2.8 in it. It doesn’t run but it turns over. I pulled the spark plugs, one was filthy but the rest looked decent. Every time I pull the dipstick, dirt and sludge are on the end of it. Should I attempt to rebuild the...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad