• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by MrEvilPirate

1. Fluid Leaks in Extreme Cold

It's been ballz cold in New England past few days. I replaced thermostat housing a few months ago, leak was gone. Noticed smell of coolant, and I now have another leak at thermostat housing (where upper meets lower). At same time I noticed I was low on clutch fluid. I've had to top both off...
  2. Getting Hard to Shift

Manual 2002 4.0 ranger 4x4 with 176k miles. The truck is getting very hard to shift. I push harder than I should to get it into gear at stops. While driving it is hit or miss. Even into 3rd sometimes I have lots of trouble. Once in gear it doesn't pop out or grind. Here is history: Bought the...
  3. Timing Chain Noise Update

So I got the sheared off water pump housing bolt out. Removed the idler pulley and hit it with PB blaster and a hammer every night for a few days. Said a prayer to the car gods and clamped on the vice grips, got it out. Put everything back together, new tensioners in, fired it up. No more...
  4. Timing Cover Removal

My timing chain tensioners just arrived, hoping once installed they'll take care of my cold start rattle. I have an intermediate rattle around 2500 - 3000 rpm, really slight, almost hard to hear. I'd like to replace main guides, or at least take a look at them. My manual says engine needs to...
  5. Straight Talk on Timing Chain

:dunno: 2002 4.0 in a 4x4 Edge Ranger with 152k. I've read tons of threads about the timing chain rattle from bad tensioners and worn guides. Having a bit of trouble sorting it out. This was before I bought the truck. Now that I've lived with it a bit I'm starting to hear what I think is...
  6. I may have just ruined brand new ball joint

I got 4 new ball joints for my 2002 ranger edge 4x4 w/torsion bar suspension and 2 tie rod outer ends. Never did a ball joint before, it was a battle but I got all parts installed and everything was looking good. Got my brand new grease gun loaded up and last task was to grease the joints then...
  7. Knuckle Magically Stuck to Truck

I looked around the forum and watched a bunch of youtube videos, but the videos always cut and resume after the knuckle is removed. I'm trying to do ball joints on a 2002 Ranger 4x4 w/torsion suspension. Upper control arm is disconnected from the knuckle. Caliper is off. Axle nut is off and...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad