Recent content by mikkelstuff

1. mikkelstuff

What was your 1st car?

1955 Mercury. Came out of the junkyard around 1963 with a rod through the number 5 cylinder wall of the 292 Y-Block. Dad, an excellent machinist and mechanic, and I rebuilt that car from end to end. I drove that car all across the U.S. until the frame finally rusted in two around 1973. The...
  2. mikkelstuff

Spin-on gasoline fuel filter

Anyone know what size hard steel lines I have leading to the fuel filter on my 2002 Ranger? I will need to splice into those lines to install this spin-on fuel filter mount.
  3. mikkelstuff

Contacted WIX. They tell me the NAPA 4770 or WIX 24770 spin-on base is fine for fuel injected gasoline applications. They also sent me a list of filters suitable for either gasoline or diesel.
  4. mikkelstuff

Who to buy a remanufactured engine from?

I just ask a Denver machine shop what they wanted to pull, rebuild, and install the 3.0L V-6 in my 2002 4WD Ranger and they said about $5,000. I don't know how much of that was for removal and installation. Your $2,600 number may be low for a decent rebuild. You still might ask around for a...
  5. mikkelstuff

Back to spin-on fuel filters. I see NAPA sells a nice looking general purpose spin-on fuel filter mount (NAPA 4770, same as WIX 24770). I see this generally used for diesel fuel. Any chance this can be used for pressured gasoline in a fuel injected vehicle? The central thread is a 1"-14. Looks...
  6. mikkelstuff

What 3.0L ?

Very good but sadly my great engine builder suffered a massive stroke and, though recovering, cannot work for the time being.
  7. mikkelstuff

What 3.0L ?

Great. What about the water pump and front crankshaft pulley?
  8. mikkelstuff

What 3.0L ?

I'm thinking about having a 3.0L rebuilt for a later swap into my 2002 Ranger 4WD XLT. I see lots of Taurus 3.0L engines available for cheap. Will those fit my Ranger? I assume externals like water pump, oil pan, alternator, upper intake manifold would have to be swapped.
  9. mikkelstuff

To change engines or not?

I have 140,000 miles on this 3.0 L (2002 Ranger XLT supercab 4WD). The valve covers leak oil. The oil pan leaks oil. The timing cover is leaking coolant. Unfortunately I have no garage space or spare vehicle to do this or I would. Mechanic tells me the engine needs to come out to change oil...
  10. mikkelstuff

oil leak

Yeah, if I had the room to do it, I'd drop the pan and install a new gasket without totally removing the pan. I certainly think that would work. I'd also do the valve covers if I had the garage space and a spare vehicle. Stupid HOA won't let me do this work outside in the driveway.
  11. mikkelstuff

oil leak

I finally ran this Ranger into a local shop with a lift. Mechanic tells me the main oil leak is from the oil pan BUT he says either the transmission or the engine must come out to replace the oil pan gasket. Is this true?
  12. mikkelstuff

wheel speed sensor

Replaced the left front wheel speed sensor today at the Ranger is happy again. I didn't even have to clear the error message. I didn't see anything looking bad in the original speed sensor. I did check this sensor and it showed 403 ohms resistance across the contacts. I never thought to check...
  13. mikkelstuff

wheel speed sensor

Finally got a chance to jack up the Ranger. There is no slop in the wheel bearings that I can find and the speed sensor is still in place. Strangely enough, the "check engine" light went out on its own. I think if I get another check on that speed sensor, I'll replace it. Wrote too soon...
  14. mikkelstuff

Merry Christmas!