• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by mg677

1. 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 v6 4.0 Shift Delay

Hi All, I am slowly working through the general maintenance for a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 I picked up with 63k original miles. It has the V6 4.0 SOHC engine and the 5R55E transmission. I am already planning to change the transmission fluid/gasket/filter, but have the following problems. Once...
  2. 2001 Ford Ranger XLT V6 4.0 Timing Chain Noise?

Sounds like a plan! Also, I bought the kit from advanced auto and replaced the belt, tensioner pullet, and idler pulley. Definitely much quiter, but still hear the sounds of concern in the background. With that said, I had a few non-mechanically oriented friends listen and I had to point it out...
  3. 2001 Ford Ranger XLT V6 4.0 Timing Chain Noise?

A question on the tensioners. I initially primed them to confirm they became solid (and confirmed they were better than the old ones). Went to install the top one (left) and part of the reason I stripped it was fighting the stiff tensioner was extremely challenging. I deprimed it for the final...
  4. 2001 Ford Ranger XLT V6 4.0 Timing Chain Noise?

Removed the belt and took and took two new videos and a pic of the timing belt. Timing belt is dry/cracked and will replace. The first video is if the idler pulley. Makes a bit of a rattle when you spin it and has some axial play. I assume it is a good idea to replace this along with the idler...
  5. 2001 Ford Ranger XLT V6 4.0 Timing Chain Noise?

Yea, found that video and does not sounds as bad. Thinking it may be fine, but will talk a fresh look tomorrow after driving it more than 5 miles.
  6. 2001 Ford Ranger XLT V6 4.0 Timing Chain Noise?

Thank you for the welcome! Removing the belt sounds like the way to go. Appreciate the advice. With that said, starting to think it is not too concerning. Using 5W30 Castrol Edge. Luckily I know the previous two owners and I know the mileage is original. However, sitting in the desert for 2...
  7. 2001 Ford Ranger XLT V6 4.0 Timing Chain Noise?

Hi All, Recently picked up a 2001 Ford Ranger v6 4.0 with 63k. Just replaced the spark plugs, radiator fan, leaking thermostat housing, coolant flush, and timing chain tensioners. Mainly did the tensioners since getting to the thermostat housing was half the battle. No odd noises I can recall...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad