• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by LeftHander

1. Driveline vibration origin.

It posted in the middle of typing...
  2. Driveline vibration origin.

I suspect that these offset drums would exceed the minimum metal thinkness spec when worn down to the limits of the inside diameter. I think that is a federal violation.
  3. Driveline vibration origin.

I recently discovered an odd source of a driveline vibration in my '96 Ranger supercab. Shakes at freeway speeds. Replaced the center bearing carrier assembly. No joy. Had the driveshaft assembly checked at the driveline shop. All good. Discovered that BOTH axle shafts were bent ('96 had a soft...
  4. Driveline vibration. '96 3.0L Supercab 2wd, stick, two piece driveshaft.

Eddo, not available in my area. Junk yard chain uses forklifts to move vehicles around, and damages virtually all driveshafts when they lift it. Those long one piece shafts are positioned below the frame right where they lift the truck. Crunch!
  5. Driveline vibration. '96 3.0L Supercab 2wd, stick, two piece driveshaft.

Lowspeedpursuit: "Think about it: a rear with a normal yoke, instead of a flange, would only have two possible orientations. That's no granularity of adjustment whatsoever, but all those vehicles drive fine. " The spline on the pinion shaft gives quite a range of alignment when first installed...
  6. Driveline vibration. '96 3.0L Supercab 2wd, stick, two piece driveshaft.

bronco ii Man, the rubber had degraded for sure on that center bearing. Not much rubber there to start with, and I found I could shove it to the side by hand when in place, which wasn't possible when new. I cut away the travel limit rubber ring it had, and filled it with some rubber windshield...
  7. Driveline vibration. '96 3.0L Supercab 2wd, stick, two piece driveshaft.

Shran, I noticed during my junkyard searches for a one piece shaft that the 4 cyl Rangers were the only ones that had that rubber sleeve damper. There is a very obvious difference in vibration depending on which of the 4 positions (original bolt holes) are selected on that plate. That would...
  8. Driveline vibration. '96 3.0L Supercab 2wd, stick, two piece driveshaft.

The truck vibrates at freeway speeds. Becomes noticeable above ~50mph. Swapping the rear tires from my 4x4 didn't really change the feel, so it would appear that is not a big part of the problem. Moving the driveshaft position on the pinion plate accentuates the vibration. I have not tried the...
  9. Driveline vibration. '96 3.0L Supercab 2wd, stick, two piece driveshaft.

Bought the truck a few years back, had some vibration at speed, figured that the well worn tires were unbalanced. Looked hard for a center carrier bearing, found a NOS one at the local driveshaft shop. Felt the same as old one, but replaced it anyway. Bought 4 new tires, got worse. Multiple...
  10. Puzzling oil leak.

2000 3.0L 4x4 suddenly started leaking oil and water. No water in oil pan, or oil in coolant. Oil was running down the pass front of the block, just under the head, next to the chain case area. Steam cleaned the engine, pulled the hoses and belt off to get a better view, and ran the engine for...
  11. dual gas tank ranger? is it rare?

Just wanted to add some data to this older post. The standard tank on a supercab Ranger was reduced in capacity due to the cab overhanging it. I think it was maybe 11 gals. The reserve tank was bigger, maybe 13 gals. (been at least 25 years since I played with an '88 that we added the reserve...
  12. 3.0L bad oil leak and some water loss.

I was hoping to find someone who has had the same problem on a 3.0L. I lack the time to troubleshoot this from scratch. I'm in the middle of swapping a rear axle assembly in my '96 Ranger, while assisting my housemate with an engine/trans swap in his Lexus, while packing to move.
  13. 3.0L bad oil leak and some water loss.

Everything below the head is covered with oil, back to the trans. Coolant level is low, no pressure. Not overheating. No coolant in oil (no foam on dipstick). Runs fine. 2000 4x4. Has maybe a couple thousand miles on what I was told by previous owner was heads, water pump, radiator, and other...
  14. ranger step side not splash

Shran, are you sure yours is paint? I had an '88 supercab 4x4 in the early 90's that had some mild stripe graphics on the sides that was a decal kit from Ford. They were required to be clearcoated after installation, IIRC. Might have been a FX4, or something like that. Your stripes would be a...
  15. Dual gas tank ranger?

Worked at a shop in the early 70's at the seashore. We repaired the ocassional rusty,leaking fuel tank. It can be done safely if you do things to keep an explosive atmosphere from being created inside the tank. Necessary items for the job: Copper sheet. Soldering flux. Shop vacuum and/or shop...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad