• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by Inherited Thunderbolt

1. My Thunderbolt Build Thread

I am finished with the exterior work on this thing at least for now. The center-cap trick I tried didn't work, as soon as I did the first wheel the Steelstik fell off. Cooper Cobra GTs American Racing Torq Thrust IIs Smoked Headlights, corner laps, tails and 3rd Brake Light Bed Rail Caps New...
  2. Ticking

You sure it's the SOHC? Those weren't standard in Rangers until 2001. The 1994s came with an OHV engine. Also, does the tick have a constant rhythm regardless of how fast you're going, or does its frequency change when you're going faster?
  3. How to troubleshoot MAF harness?

I've managed to troubleshoot this partially, but I've had to park on this issue for now and turn my attention to other tasks. I was able to determine that the harness itself is fine and the problem is further upstream, so I'd like to thank you guys for the help. I'll use this information when...
  4. How to troubleshoot MAF harness?

Hey thanks, both of you. I'll run through these checks and report back with findings. Might take me a couple of days. Just a quick note, from the stuff I did yesterday, the wire on pin 6 was reading 4.5V instead of 5 when it was disconnected; we dismissed this originally as "cheap harbor...
  5. How to troubleshoot MAF harness?

I'm looking for something on how to use a multimeter to test the wires and what are the appropriate voltages so I can at least isolate which wire is failing. I'm not an electrician and am really struggling here to figure out how to diagnose the problem. I appreciate the support, but I'm...
  6. How to troubleshoot MAF harness?

I'm having some problems trying to troubleshoot a check engine code on my Thunderbolt (2002 Ranger XLT 4x2 4.0 V6 5 speed auto), P0112. The code is being thrown because the IAT is picking up a temperature that is out of range. I have already replaced the MAF/IAT sensor and cleared the code...
  7. My Thunderbolt Build Thread

Thank you my man, I appreciate that. This site has an article about the Thunderbolt Ranger that you can read here. My truck has factory tow so I don't have the rear rollpan, and the badges aren't made anymore but I'm pretty sure the rest of the look can be replicated from the aftermarket.
  8. My Thunderbolt Build Thread

Got a full respray from Macco. The bed rails and front valance were a mess and the hood scoop is a reproduction (the original one cracked and broke) and was never painted. I'm going to cerekote the door handles, mirrors and bumper this weekend to freshen up the plastics. It's not perfect; a...
  9. My Thunderbolt Build Thread

Put in a new shift solenoid == Put in a solenoid pack. They didn't replace any solenoids. I discovered later that the 2-3 shift hangs when you get on it. This wasn't related to the service I asked them to do on the truck; frankly I never knew it was there because before I started work on the...
  10. My Thunderbolt Build Thread

It's been a while since I posted an update. I had some problems with the truck, then some problems in life, then more problems with the truck. Fortunately, everything is good now. I don't know what was going on with the spark plugs; I ended up actually just ordering two more iridium plugs to...
  11. My Thunderbolt Build Thread

So it's been a couple of months and I have some updates. After a lot of confusion, hemming and hawing, and a couple of trips to the junkyard, I was able to sort out a variety of problems I had created for myself due to poorly documenting the disassembly process and got the engine back together...
  12. Starter Motor wiring

Thanks RonD, I was able to figure it out.
  13. Starter Motor wiring

I'm in the process of reinstalling the engine and hooking everything back up to my 2002 4.0 V6, and have become confounded by the starter motor wiring. I was wondering if anyone had a really good picture and/or video of what wires go to where on the 4.0 starter motor.
  14. My Thunderbolt Build Thread

Hey everyone, I decided that since I've been working on this truck for a while now, that I should start a build thread and go through all of the things I've done, been doing, and will do to this truck in the future. It's my hope that the work I do on my Ranger(s) will inspire others to pick up...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad