• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by fanugi

1. 99 Ranger - Cam Synchronizer Replaced and Want to Ensure it's Right

Thanks for your reply as well! Not sure what I would do without this forum! No codes so I think I'm good. Will a code always cause the check engine light to come on? This is really helpful for me to understand how the components work together.
  2. 99 Ranger - Cam Synchronizer Replaced and Want to Ensure it's Right

Thanks so much for your informative reply and the pictures. Having some technical issues today so I can't send a pic but the gear is in good shape (I just looked at it). No chips/dings or much visible wear (or grime) at all. It does chirp when you spin the shaft though. I guess this means...
  3. 99 Ranger - Cam Synchronizer Replaced and Want to Ensure it's Right

Hi all, Hope everyone's ranger is running well! Finally replaced the camshaft synchronizer thanks to some help from some good people on this forum! The old one is definitely chirping when I spin it so that was the culprit. I'm not the most mechanical person and it was more difficult than...
  4. 99 Ranger Squeak in Engine Bay

Thanks for elaborating. Are you saying that the life expectancy of the drive gear is often the same as the cam syncro?
  5. 99 Ranger Squeak in Engine Bay

Sounds like outstanding advice. Thanks again.
  6. 99 Ranger Squeak in Engine Bay

Thanks again but I wound up not having to remove the belt as it was the cam synchro.
  7. 99 Ranger Squeak in Engine Bay

Have you ever had to replace or oil the cam synchro? That was the issue.
  8. 99 Ranger Squeak in Engine Bay

Can you kindly reply to my most recent post? It was the cam synchro and hoping for additional insight.
  9. 99 Ranger Squeak in Engine Bay

Okay, so I listened more closely and the chirp was coming from the camshaft synchronizer. Some small squirts of 5W30 were put around the perimeter of the top. After a few minutes of driving, the chirp went away and has not returned! So, now I'm wondering if I might have done some damage...
  10. 99 Ranger Squeak in Engine Bay

Thanks!
  11. 99 Ranger Squeak in Engine Bay

Thanks for the reply. I sprayed the belt at the alternator and, if anything, it got louder and more consistent. Is there any other way to further narrow it down? It's hard to tell exactly where the sound is coming from.
  12. 99 Ranger Squeak in Engine Bay

Is there anything else I could try to isolate the problem without removing the belt? I'm not very mechanical but would like to do what I can. Thanks again!
  13. 99 Ranger Squeak in Engine Bay

Thanks for the helpful reply!
  14. 99 Ranger Squeak in Engine Bay

This is a 6CYL 3L. Just started noticing a squeak coming from the engine bay. Have been using Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant with every fill-up as of the last 6 months and the serpentine belt was replaced 5K miles ago. Not sure if those two factors are related or not. Could it be the camshaft...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad