• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by EVOrider

1. Carburetor backfiring/stalling

Picked up a 1984 Ranger with the 2.8l. Really in good shape....except the running condition. In fact, its all factory original. It starts up fine....just like my 1983 which runs good. However, once it warms up....the idle gets slower and slower till it dies. Then, have to gently press the gas...
  2. PIP signal

1983 Ranger still with feedback carburetor..... After it warms up....it jerks and bucks while under a load. Truck idles fine, but struggles once hot. I’ve swapped out TFI module, which was relocated to fender years ago. Fuel filter was replaced as well.... The accelerator pump looked fine...
  3. Holley 2300 EFI kit

Anyone here familiar with the Holley 2300 EFI kit? It says it works on the Mustang 2.8L v6. I would consider going that route if someone here is familiar with that setup. Thanks
  4. Catalytic Converter

My 1983 Ranger has the original catalytic converter on it. The truck has something around 500,000 miles on it. After all the years and miles....would I get some performance back if it were replaced?
  5. Speedometer gear after gear change

I recently swapped 4.10 rear end in my 1983 Ranger. It originally had 3.45 gearing. Of course, now the speedometer is way off. I've read and tried to figure out which speedometer gear I need....but cannot figure it out. 2wd, TK5 transmission, 14 inch wheels, and 4.10 gears Which speedometer...
  6. Leaf spring interchange

I have been looking at replacing the original leaf springs on my 1983 Ranger. My friend has a brandnew set that he originally bought for his 1987...but he wrecked it before he got to install them. I can get the 1987 leaf springs really cheap.... However, according to...
  7. Thermostat on top conversion

Anyone here converted their '83-84 engines to the '85 style where the thermostat is up top? I have an opportunity to purchase the top portion where the thermostat lives. Looks to me like...all I need is the top portion plus different hoses pertaining to the 1985 model. I never understood why...
  8. Engine run-on

The stator inside the distributor bit the dust about six months ago on my stock 1983 Ranger still with the TFI. I went ahead and replaced with a remanufactured distributor. The TFI is motorcraft and is remote mounted on the fender. The problem is...once the engine is hot and has been running...
  9. Regearing Recommendation

My '83 Ranger is stock.....2wd, TK5 transmission, and the wheels are 14 inch. The gearing is 3.45.....not bad for level highway. However, I basically stay in town and sometimes pull a 1,500-2,000 lbs. trailer. I was thinking going with 3.73 which would still be alright for highway, but better...
  10. Different EGR valve sensor

For the past six years....I've had EGR valve problems. I was always getting trouble codes from the computer. MPG was horrible and the truck smelt gassy. The EGR valve checked out alright and so was the pressure sensor. I checked out all vacuum lines and everything was fine. I bought a new...
  11. Unknown outlet on carburetor

The carburetor on my 1983 Ford Ranger is the dirty carburetor with the unknown vacuum outlet next to the idle mixture screw. The tag number is E37E ABA. The other carburetor is E37E AEA without the unknown vacuum outlet. The seller claimed it came off a 1985 Ranger. I've already tried this...
  12. 1986-1988 factory tachometer option

I have purchased a instrument cluster with the tachometer from a 1987 Ford Ranger that had the 2.9L. For $10, what the heck! I have installed the cluster into my 1983 Ranger. However, I have been unable to get the tach to work. I wired it in just like the 1987 wiring diagram. It is wired from...
  13. Curved hose needed

My '83 Ranger with the old stock feedback carburetor is needing a new hose. It's a curved hose and fuel feeds through it. It's in the front right and slightly below. I've tried regular straight hoses and they don't work because the curve causes it to have a 90 degree bend. Any idea what hose...
  14. Aerostar headers

Not been here in a while.....too many projects and other interests. Anyways, my interest came back to my old Ranger. I have a lead on a set of 1986 Aerostar 2.8L factory headers. I am wondering if these are a simply bolt-on to the Ranger 2.8L 2wd versions. Any modifications must be done to the...
  15. Not running right

I've got a 1983 Ranger with the 2.8L....2wd and manual transmission. It still has the EEC-VI. When cold, the idle is rough. Once warmed up though, the idle is smooth. When the engine is still cold and whenever the engine is placed under a load, it looses power. It is like it is not getting...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad