• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by ekrampitzjr

1. Cooling system bypass outlet leak - unavailable part needed

The original Ford part might not be available, but check the aftermarket. Either Dorman 902-1041 or Four Seasons 85024 is supposed to be a replacement. Several of each are available on eBay. Yeah, yeah, I know, Dorman. But any port in a storm, right? Given the nature of the part, I doubt...
  2. Adverse Affects of Gutting Cats

A honeycomb-type catalyst in good condition should flow freely without significant exhaust restriction. The only OEM catalysts (that I know of) that were known to restrict exhaust flow were the old GM designs with the replaceable pellets. Those did stop up the exhaust unnecessarily, and GM...
  3. rubber/vinyl? OEM ranger floor mats where and what

The ones in the right picture are factory or a dealer-installed option. After 30 years, I doubt new replacements are still available, but you never know. Believe it or not, the universal rubber floor mats sold in many auto-parts stores can work and look good if they are trimmed properly. Many...
  4. What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

The fuel warning light on many vehicles is designed to come on when about 1 US gallon (about 4 liters) is left. But that's a rough guide at best. The light is there to tell you it's time to get fuel now, not in a few miles.
  5. Win a Ford (1978)

Had the Mazda version, a 1984 bought used, the last year for the '78–'84 body. They liked to rust. The bed rusted through from the top just before the engine failed from a probable valvetrain problem, but this was in 2007.
  6. 1977 Pinto

The gas tank problem aside, the Pinto was a much better, more reliable car than many of its competitors, especially the Chevy Vega. Having a Pinto Cruising Wagon like this in good condition would be cool.
  7. What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Steel wool on headlight lenses? :eek:
  8. Final drive

The 2.73 rear end with a 5.0 described in the OP might have been for top speed. Keep in mind a lot of police-package Mustangs were sold in the 1980s as high-speed pursuit/interception cars because the regular Crown Vics and other sedans were too heavy for the underpowered V-8s of the day for...
  9. 2.3L ('02-'11) 2001-2003 Ranger/B2300 Dealer support ended Need help Finding Grommet!!! URGENT

Here's a last-ditch suggestion if you really can't find those grommets. It involves some work. Some auto parts stores and old-school hardware stores (Ace, True Value) sell small sheets of thick rubber and other gasket material, often as a roll. Maybe you could make your own grommets from...
  10. What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Is that picture of a Tesla? :LOL:
  11. 4.0 sohc octane rating?

Time for a new fuel filter?
  12. 4.0 sohc octane rating?

My 4.0 Ranger runs happier and gets slightly better fuel economy using 93–octane instead of 87. It's noticeable and not my imagination. Especially if I plan a trip, it gets premium. I look at it this way: if the slight extra cost of premium keeps this engine trouble-free longer, it's worth it.
  13. What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

I like the ease of removing headlight assemblies in Rangers, but you have to be alert when you reinstall them. It's easy for the two long metal retainers to miss the pins on the bottom of the assembly.
  14. Is diesel still worth it?

Check your options now. Diesels have been blamed for air pollution in European cities including in Germany, so some manufacturers are backing away from diesel engines in cars and light trucks. Sales have dropped a lot because of the bad publicity. Mazda dropped diesels from its line in...
  15. 90s chevy trucks

Agreed. I didn't mention the light coat of rust on the roof, or the headliner that fell down and had to be torn out, or ... :LOL: All of this is why I intend to junk it. My only real cost to keep it is insurance, tags, and fluids, and I was recently using it to get up an overgrown driveway...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad