• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by eightynine4x4

1. 2.9 Top End replacement advice

Another question… if/when removing and then reinstalling the lifters…. I understand they can be stuck in the holes because of slight deformation of the mating surfaces, and that a lifter removal tool may be necessary to get them out. That’s all fine. But is it always the lifters themselves that...
  2. 2.9 Top End replacement advice

Like I mentioned earlier, while putting in the Promaxxperformance heads I might just go ahead and replace the rockers, shafts, rods, and lifters. My valve train has been subjected to so much violent commotion, for who knows how many years before me, that I worry some parts are slightly warped or...
  3. 2.9L Head Gasket replacement

Me too, just looking to solve the calamity that is my valve train and enjoy my ranger as stock!
  4. 2.9 Top End replacement advice

Well I’ve ordered a set of the Promaxxperformance heads. I’ve checked with some others who’ve bought these heads and they’ve mentioned that the included hardware works well. Hoping that the valves won’t need to be lapped, but if they do that’s not a huge problem. I’ll be inspecting everything as...
  5. 2.9L Head Gasket replacement

Amazing. Did you lap the valves once you received the set? Or did you just install everything as received? Also are you using stock exhaust manifolds or did you go with some headers?
  6. 2.9L Head Gasket replacement

@Cees Klumper When you got the Full version of the Promaxxperformance heads which includes the spring and valves, did you have any issues or concerns with the supplied hardware? Am probably about to buy a set, and am wondering if it would be better to buy separate springs and valves. It...
  7. 2.9 Top End replacement advice

Yep I went through that this summer, under the excellent guidance of RonD. It DID seem to make some improvement in the performance after it’s been warmed up, but I did a number of things to help at the same time. But like I said, my most glaring issues are almost entirely during warmup. And it’s...
  8. 2.9 Top End replacement advice

Yes, I have the 89TM. Here’s a pic of my rocker assembly and you can see the larger rectangular support block under the shaft mount. Bonus, you can also see one of my hex nuts I had to use to make the connection from manifold to head, after drilling out the holes. What is the issue of using new...
  9. 2.9 Top End replacement advice

Another sample below at 22:20. This is how my engine sounds during its roughest starts. Mine smooths out over a few minutes. But it starts out just as bad sometimes. Like a metal clacking combined with a miss or even multiple misses. He improves it by opening things up and addressing several...
  10. 2.9 Top End replacement advice

Thanks fellas, Yeah I have ticking, which I could live with, but what’s worse is the valve train health in general. I get ultra ultra rough starts but it always smooths out after a long steady warmup which makes me think the bottom end is just fine. Also I get decent mileage and pretty good...
  11. 2.9 Top End replacement advice

Thanks for the info! Good to know about the cam shaft! I actually did a lifter preload adjustment this summer. A number of the pushrods gave almost zero resistance when lightly pushed down with one finger. Some were firm. I’m not too thoroughly educated still but it seems like some of my lifters...
  12. 2.9 Top End replacement advice

1989 A4LD 4x4 2.9 Hey all, Considering doing a top end replacement / rebuild and have a few questions about the 2.9.. To preface this, I already “want” new heads because I recently replaced both exhaust manifolds and never got perfect / permanent connections for new manifolds due to all of...
  13. 1st gen fender trim?

Just discovered this product line, which from the looks of the pic above could very well be what is on those wheel wells. Would love a true to form 1st gen fender product but this seems like the best backup plan and is cheap. Just will need to measure and order correct length...
  14. 1st gen fender trim?

Been poking around for any sources for buying this kind of steel/chrome trim.. Anybody happen to know who sells sets like this? Haven’t had any luck scouring for it so am resorting to le knowledge station…..
  15. Window swap.. 87 SuperCab to 89 Single cab?

Went and saw a super cab 87 for parts and considered pulling the solid window but it really appeared larger than my 89 sliding window. Didn’t have my truck with me to compare though. Are all supercab windows their own size and all single cabs are smaller? And yes, I want a solid window. I don’t...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad