• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by e21pilot

1. Alternatives for intermediate steering shaft 1992 2wd

I had some time today so I went on down to the local auto parts recycler and it turned out to there were several first generation and a bunch of 2nd generation Rangers on hand. Only problem was they all had steering shafts with one or two rag joints in them and I wanted to get something that...
  2. Alternatives for intermediate steering shaft 1992 2wd

Thanks for the links. I will have a look. Even though these trucks are old, there were a lot of them out there. I recently came across a 1991 in the yard that was low miles and very clean on the inside. Probably belonged to an old timer and sat around a lot in a garage. Only reason it was...
  3. Alternatives for intermediate steering shaft 1992 2wd

Thanks for the response. You are much more ambitious than I am. I was hoping I could just pull a steering shaft from some Ford vehicle in the salvage yard and use that. I have replaced the rag joints some years ago and I was hoping to find something else with universal joints that I would not...
  4. Alternatives for intermediate steering shaft 1992 2wd

My 1992 4.0v6 2wd extended cab Ranger is getting closer to 300K miles. But, it has a lot of play in the intermediate steering shaft. It's at the point where you have to oscillate the steering wheel back and forth to get it go straight. I know this part is no longer available. Is there a...
  5. Kick down cable adjustment procedure

Thanks for the response. I had a look on the both sides of the accelerator pedal and here's what I see. At the top of the accelerator pedal: From the firewall side: I tried looking for a button on the grey plastic housing but could not find anything to press. Is there somewhere else I...
  6. Kick down cable adjustment procedure

Got my rebuilt A4LD installed and am back on the road with my 92 4.0 OHV. I had to replace the kick down cable as I discovered it was broken and probably had been for many years. Problem now is when I get on the road, as soon as I put a little foot into it, it kicks out of OD right away. It...
  7. Oil pan bolt torque?

I did have the pan out and cleaned it thoroughly. I did not think to check if the bolt surface was warped or not. I assumed not since it was cast aluminum. It does use a formed string-like rubber gasket that fits in the groove of the pan. I ran a very thin bead of the Ford grey gasket sealer...
  8. Oil pan bolt torque?

What is the correct torque for the oil pan bolts on the 4.0 OHV V6. Is it the same for the two torx bolts on either side of the rear main seal?
  9. 4.0 OHV oil pan removed; next steps...

I raised the engine and was able to drop the pan in my effort to replace the leaking pan gasket. Now with the pan off, I wonder if there is anything else I should do like torque the bolts on the bottom or replace the oil pump? The engine has 265K but is still running very well. I wonder if I...
  10. 4.0 OHV Motor Mounts

I started to setup to lift the motor and after I took the flex plate off, I noticed a lot of oil around the rear main and also some rust under the top frost plug in the block. I had the rear-main replaced just last year and am surprised to see it wet around the seal. Is there an upgraded seal...
  11. 4.0 OHV Motor Mounts

Speaking of lifting the motor, the 4.0 OHV seems like a small enough block and the oil pan looks to be reinforced although it is made of aluminum. I wonder if the flat part of the pan by the drain plug is strong enough to handle the weight of the motor if I lift it there with my floor jack?
  12. 4.0 OHV Motor Mounts

Do the OEM motor mounts in a 1992 4.0 OHV 2wd Ranger last the life of the truck? I'm going to lift the motor to fix an oil pan leak and wondered if I should do the mounts at the same time since they would be easy. They are almost 30 years old with 250 K miles on them but I haven't noticed that...
  13. 4.0 OHV Oil pan gasket replacement

I'm going to give this a try. If I am successful in getting it elevated, I'll need to buy a good pan gasket. Since this is a difficult job, I wonder if there is a recommended gasket set to buy, or just go with whats at the local parts store. I really don't mind paying a little extra for a...
  14. 4.0 OHV Oil pan gasket replacement

That's an idea. Once I get the block elevated, am I right that the pan gasket is simple to replace? Does it need any silicone in spots or is it good enough to use the gasket with the correct bolt torque?
  15. 4.0 OHV Oil pan gasket replacement

I don't have an engine puller but I do have a floor jack. How high must it be lifted to clear the crank/oil pump pickup? Is the transmission and starter are missing, I figured it would be easier to take out at this time. If i could undo the motor mounts and lift it with a floor jack, I could...