• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by e21pilot

1. Passed the smog test...barely

I could replace the front one again. I have heard the rear one doesn't do anything for the operation of the engine and I wonder if its worth replacing? Now that I am thinking about it, I wonder if the 1992 even has a rear sensor? I have so many vehicles I have forgotten! Also, it wasn't...
  2. Passed the smog test...barely

First off, thanks for all the posts. Very informative. To answer the questions, the front O2 sensor was replaced about 5 years ago but the cat is original as is the rear O2 sensor. Many parts of the fuel/ignition/emissions system around the area of the intake were replaced about five years...
  3. Passed the smog test...barely

My 1992 4.0 2WD automatic Ranger is running really well with just over 250K miles on the original engine (and 4th transmission). I took it to the smog test station today and was surprised to find out that despite having much lower HC and CO readings than the average of vehicles for this year...
  4. Lifter tick or rod knock?

I should have included more details. Fuel is 91 octane (10% ethanol I believe) with 5W-30 Mobil 1 oil. RE: lifter bores. Is the problem the lifters themselves or dirt in the engine that blocks oil from getting to the lifters which partially collapses them causing the tick? Will this...
  5. Lifter tick or rod knock?

I haven't driven my 92 OHV 4.0V6 5-spd Ranger in a while but I had it out on a long trip yesterday and noticed it is making a ticking/knocking sound. I only hear it once the engine is warmed up and the truck is parked. It's loudest when I press the clutch in and it does increase with RPM...
  6. A4LD Rebuild time again...

Once again my 1992 working Ranger has towed it's last trailer and is in need a new 2wd A4LD tranny. I was thinking to get a reman'd unit this time because I heard some venders offered 3 or even 5 year warranties on their properly remanufactured units vs the local installer/rebuilder that only...
  7. Wanted 1990 Ranger 4x4 15x7 Factory Steel Wheel

Thanks for your response. By your message are you saying you have new wheels on your 91 and are selling the old ones as a set?
  8. Wanted 1990 Ranger 4x4 15x7 Factory Steel Wheel

Looking for one of these in 7" wide variety. Mostly found on 1990 4x4 Rangers as a spare or all 4 wheels if equipped from the factory that way. Post if you have s straight wheel. Thanks .
  9. Alternatives for intermediate steering shaft 1992 2wd

I had some time today so I went on down to the local auto parts recycler and it turned out to there were several first generation and a bunch of 2nd generation Rangers on hand. Only problem was they all had steering shafts with one or two rag joints in them and I wanted to get something that...
  10. Alternatives for intermediate steering shaft 1992 2wd

Thanks for the links. I will have a look. Even though these trucks are old, there were a lot of them out there. I recently came across a 1991 in the yard that was low miles and very clean on the inside. Probably belonged to an old timer and sat around a lot in a garage. Only reason it was...
  11. Alternatives for intermediate steering shaft 1992 2wd

Thanks for the response. You are much more ambitious than I am. I was hoping I could just pull a steering shaft from some Ford vehicle in the salvage yard and use that. I have replaced the rag joints some years ago and I was hoping to find something else with universal joints that I would not...
  12. Alternatives for intermediate steering shaft 1992 2wd

My 1992 4.0v6 2wd extended cab Ranger is getting closer to 300K miles. But, it has a lot of play in the intermediate steering shaft. It's at the point where you have to oscillate the steering wheel back and forth to get it go straight. I know this part is no longer available. Is there a...
  13. Kick down cable adjustment procedure

Thanks for the response. I had a look on the both sides of the accelerator pedal and here's what I see. At the top of the accelerator pedal: From the firewall side: I tried looking for a button on the grey plastic housing but could not find anything to press. Is there somewhere else I...
  14. Kick down cable adjustment procedure

Got my rebuilt A4LD installed and am back on the road with my 92 4.0 OHV. I had to replace the kick down cable as I discovered it was broken and probably had been for many years. Problem now is when I get on the road, as soon as I put a little foot into it, it kicks out of OD right away. It...
  15. Oil pan bolt torque?

I did have the pan out and cleaned it thoroughly. I did not think to check if the bolt surface was warped or not. I assumed not since it was cast aluminum. It does use a formed string-like rubber gasket that fits in the groove of the pan. I ran a very thin bead of the Ford grey gasket sealer...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad