Recent content by don4331

1. How to increase load capacity?

The right answer is get a trailer. Solve the problem, not the symptoms. At ~650 lbs, the issue isn't really weight, Rangers (B4000s) are rated for 1,250 lbs. 'course that gets reduced by options, passengers, etc before you get to actual payload. But you should still be fine. Your issue is...
  2. ABS kicking in

Over the weekend I swapped the rear axle in wife's Explorer Sport as existing axle was howling. I removed the brakes from old axle and transplanted to new so lines were never opened. I did initially forget to reconnect the differential sensor but realized real quick when ABS light stayed on...
  3. '99 to Live Axle Swap: Noob Advice?

For the hub in newer knuckle, you have a 32mm nut on the axle, then the 3 bolts. Personally, I loosen them about 3 turns, then tap them to free the hub. then I can finish removing the bolts and the hub will drop out. Reassembly is pretty much the reverse. Torsion isn't that scarey when the...
  4. 4x4 advice

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/99-to-live-axle-swap-noob-advice.181683/#post-1669605
  5. Elon musk.....

Road tax up here is $0.28/litre = $1.04 US gal! But our population density is lower, so more road/person to maintain, and the extreme temperature between summer and winter means more maintenance - not that I am happy about it given the condition of the roads. $156/yr is based on about 50% of...
  6. Engine swap help!

Does it physically fit - absolutely; would I do it - probably not. Your '00 Ranger has 4.0 ohv; the '03 would be a 4.0 sohc. https://www.therangerstation.com/stock-ranger-specifications/ford-ranger-4-0l-v6/ So, your '00 computer wouldn't quite correctly control the new engine, so you won't...
  7. Elon musk.....

I can see tax revenue being an issue - ~25% of cost of gasoline here in Alberta is "road tax" (Was 33% before UCP repealed the "carbon tax"). That's a lot of money to be losing. I consider gasoline tax, a fair tax as it is based on consumption - if I'm driving more, I'm wearing out road more...
  8. Elon musk.....

Somewhat redundant response as I type too slow: What Elon has done is made cost of EV close enough to ICE that debate is now possible. (Un)fortunately, he has had to be a little over the top to make any progress. 20 years ago, Ford released the Ranger EV (Ranger content). The 95 Ah NiMH...
  9. Auto to stick swap help needed

M5OD-R1 from a 4.0 Ranger would bolt to 2.9 and they should be dime a dozen; but that is beside point now. So, before you bolted the flywheel on to the engine, did you replace the throw out bearing? And when you bolted up the flywheel, did you use an alignment tool? If the throw out bearing...
  10. Newer to older rear frame 125".

Pics from my long bed super cab; they were meant to show how cab to axle portion is consistent, with an additional 6" behind the rear tire carrier. And how I added 6" to front of frame to get the extra 12" to fit the long bed. Rear frame section starts ~7.75" past back of cab on short box...
  11. '99 to Live Axle Swap: Noob Advice?

Specific on the parts: '95-'01 Explorer 5 door '95-'03 Explorer 3 door aka Sport '01-'05 Explorer Sport Trac '97-01 Mountaineer '00½-'11 Ranger Just as side note: If pulling axles from wrecker - knuckles for '04 & up Rangers* have holes drilled for 12" rotors, while your '99 has 11.26" brakes...
  12. 96 ranger 3.0 trans swap help needed

Asking question in just one place is more likely to get answer than shotgun approach. The easiest solution is to get a 4r44e or 4r55e out of '96 Ranger. You might be able to make the 5r55e work with computer out of '98 Ranger with 3.0, along with transmission wiring from same. And you may...
  13. Differential

Snow on side streets here in Alberta, starts coming down in Nov. And cul-de-sac I live in and side street I work off have been plowed once in 21 years I have been here. So, that snow gets packed into a layer of ice and doesn't melt until sometime in March. I'd have to install and remove snow...
  14. 225 70 R14 to 235 75 R15 issue

Jay: Do you have a '98 as per this post? Or '96 as per your signature?? '96 should have a 2.3l Lima engine with 4R44E transmission, i.e. 4 speed. If you want to get real technical, the 4R44E is 3 speed transmission + OD 1st, 2nd, direct, direct + OD for the 4 speeds '98 should have a 2.5l...
  15. Differential

I have to swap tires front to back at least 2x year to keep wear even. Swapping winters for summers and vice versus means I don't have to pull out spare and put it on/off 3 times.