• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by don4331

1. What fuel tanks on 88 ranger with dual tanks?

That reminds me - I'm supposed to track down @alwaysFlOoReD here in town as he is supposed to have one of the rear tanks in his ranger to get the dimensions of the tank and the cross members.
  2. Todays weather

52F and 12mph wind - no snow cover at all; same as last weekend. Then it gets cold (0F) and water pipes start breaking because there's no insulation.
  3. Engineers: Old vs new engine tech

Yes, 330 FT is the truck equivalent to the 332, knew about that one. For me, if it had a forged steel crank, it was a FT, if it had a cast iron one it was a FE with exception of 427 which was a FE with steel crank. 383/410/430/462 are the MEL engines. 239/256/272/292/312 are the Y block...
  4. Engineers: Old vs new engine tech

I was surprised to learn that there is a 361 FE; I always thought it was 352...360...390 for FE, then 389, 391 for FT. But there it was in my FE Bible - Foooorrd V8 Performance Guide by Bill Carroll (it's a '58 only engine - that could be why I missed it). Thx @bobbywalter - here I thought I...
  5. Engineers: Old vs new engine tech

Careful on your RBV...'19+ Rangers get 270hp out of 2.3L or almost 120hp/L. @Eddo Rogue : 75ft-lbs*12,500rpm/5252 = 178 hp. Your R1 would be past torque peak, so no longer making 75; so, 160 peak hp is a more legit number...
  6. Ye age olde question...

My apologies to you @ericbphoto, but thankfully, your picture exactly illustrates the problem. Wheel width (and backspacing) is (are) not supposed to be measured to the outside of rim, but rather to the inside (where the tire bead actually sits). But as it is a PIA to measure the flange...
  7. In tank pump pressure spec?

Are you able to watch the gauge using your GoPro?
  8. Ye age olde question...

Backspacing and offset describe the same thing. Please quote one or the other or have the 2 numbers match :stirthepot: 8 inch rims with 3.75" backspacing have -19mm offset; 8 inch rims with 4" backspacing have -13mm offset. @SandFlea Going to 33s doesn't make the tire flush or beyond. It is...
  9. In tank pump pressure spec?

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge in the truck - that would be the easiest way to tell if you are having fuel delivery issues under load. The other one is do you get detonation because the truck is running lean. Actually, that's a test you can do* - run the engine to the point where you are...
  10. What fuel tanks on 88 ranger with dual tanks?

The rear tank has been out of production for years (?decades?) and there isn't enough demand for anyone to do a run in aftermarket. So, all you get these days is the single front tank...
  11. Engineers: Old vs new engine tech

My buddies 85½ Mustang SVO had 205hp/248ft-lbs; bottom end is fairly stout, especially if you girdle the main caps. Lima beats the Honda only because they have 50% more displacement. :( Well, beats it because the power is in more useful range.
  12. Engineers: Old vs new engine tech

Can we add fancier words like Brake-Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC)? @Chapap: Not sure if you got your question answered, so the below is slightly generalized but you get the trend: The 1.5L engine in your Honda makes 192hp@5,500/190 ftlb@5,000 with 10.3:1 compression/20.2 psi boost! To do...
  13. If Mercury Made a Ranger?

When my daughter gets home from university I'll see if she has the hood ornament and hubcaps from the '49 on M-1 out in the pasture. 2nd gen Explorer/Mountaineer/Navajo is 2" wider then 4th gen Ranger. The door panels are an inch wider on either side (so you can swap dashes), the fenders and...
  14. Maverick is weird

What's a telephone book?
  15. 3.0 in a mustang

@C.Fuller305 Looking for some clarification - you have a spare auto for the 3.0? Or at least the bellhousing for the Vulcan? Because the bellhousing pattern is different between 2.3 and 3.0 so you can't directly swap transmissions (but you could remove the 2.3 bellhousing and install a 3.0...