• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by Clayton

1. **SOLVED** 5R55E No/Weak Reverse, 1st Engine Braking Works

Forgot to update-- got the correct O-rings in from Ford and had a friend with a lathe turn down the pitted/slopped edge of the covers that contacts the snap rings. May not have been necessary, but I've seen posts of people who had the snap rings fail within months, and my best guess is that the...
  2. **SOLVED** 5R55E No/Weak Reverse, 1st Engine Braking Works

Oh, I forgot to mention, to get the cocked servo cover out, I used the biggest welding clamp I had to go from the cover to the driver's frame (other clamps or a ratcheting spreader to the driver side frame would work, this is just what I had.) Then I used another clamp to pull the trans the...
  3. **SOLVED** 5R55E No/Weak Reverse, 1st Engine Braking Works

I think I'd have a much harder time falling into frustration if I were a pro working on a customer's vehicle-- but since it's my truck, it's choose your own adventure. I actually bought the truck on the cheap (thanks to the no reverse) planning to v8/manual swap it, but it's a FX4 4.0 with a...
  4. **SOLVED** 5R55E No/Weak Reverse, 1st Engine Braking Works

Got busy with work/life, but found some hours here and there. There were indeed supposed to be check balls in the VB. I contacted ShiftRite and at first they were apologetic (though didn't offer any sort of refund for wasting my time troubleshooting their error), then I figured no big deal...
  5. **SOLVED** 5R55E No/Weak Reverse, 1st Engine Braking Works

Oh, interesting, I didn't know that. That said, with the check balls from my old VB, I'm back to square one, which is better than where I was with no check balls. They say they use the TransGo kit, which I can't find instructions for online. I've emailed TransGo to try and get a copy.
  6. **SOLVED** 5R55E No/Weak Reverse, 1st Engine Braking Works

Man, what a clusterfuck of a project. I dropped the VB, pulled the separator, and how many check balls are there? Four? Nope. Three? Nope. Two!? Nope. Come on, there's gotta be at least... Nope, they left all the check balls out. Just sent an email, let's see if they stand by their work...
  7. **SOLVED** 5R55E No/Weak Reverse, 1st Engine Braking Works

Ok, back at it. Still unsure about EPC V, but I hooked the physical gauge back up to the main line side. 11/28 are the post reman'd Valve body numbers, the "All Conn" are pre. I've got a few suspicions now 1) the filler tube was badly corroded, so much so that it leaked from several spots...
  8. **SOLVED** 5R55E No/Weak Reverse, 1st Engine Braking Works

I just noticed this-- lol :'(
  9. **SOLVED** 5R55E No/Weak Reverse, 1st Engine Braking Works

Although I didn't follow this advice, it definitely makes sense. I had a hard time finding a valve body for under $80, so for ~$170 more, I could gamble on a reman'd VB being a bolt up solution. Since I'm not experienced with transmissions, I think the gamble was worth it. That said, it...
  10. **SOLVED** 5R55E No/Weak Reverse, 1st Engine Braking Works

Yeah, that could be a good option. I like the idea of getting my hands dirty, and I have a scrap one I can get familiar with now, but at this point it also sounds nice to just buy one and plug it in. This is what I was looking at...
  11. **SOLVED** 5R55E No/Weak Reverse, 1st Engine Braking Works

Oh, well this sucks Needed to use a small drift to tap out the Inner Reverse Modulator Valve, I could see that it was working, but the section that showed obvious movement went out of view and I tapped a few more times before realizing my drift slipped off in a passage that was wider than the...
  12. **SOLVED** 5R55E No/Weak Reverse, 1st Engine Braking Works

Very interesting. I'm pretty sure Lite doesn't have the feature to control the solenoids, but I can imagine it'd be handy to be able to manually control those parameters to help diagnosis. Kinda what I was doing when unplugging the "brain" to force maximum line pressure and get reverse to...
  13. **SOLVED** 5R55E No/Weak Reverse, 1st Engine Braking Works

Yeah man, I've seen so many of these threads hit dead ends with no resolution-- If I'm going to ask for help, hopefully I can leave a thread that can help someone else in the future, and even better if it helps you guys that are helping me along! Just to clarify, you're saying your test verify...
  14. **SOLVED** 5R55E No/Weak Reverse, 1st Engine Braking Works

Here are the results from EPC/CPP PIDs. I've been trying to figure out what to make of the two mismatching CPP readings, but haven't figured it out yet. The out of spec(high idle/low WOT) EPC pressures seem more interesting, though I'm not sure what to make of them either. Feeling more...
  15. **SOLVED** 5R55E No/Weak Reverse, 1st Engine Braking Works

Good tip-- I'll check those in the morning. After that, I think I'm going to dig in. Here's my thinking: The band passed the 1st low engine breaking test, and from my understanding, there's not much else in the trans that can cause this issue. The computer seems to be seeing the parts...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad