• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by BrownRangers

1. BrownRangers

Spring rate vs Load rating?

Stock my truck is a 1984 Ranger S trim. What I am finding is 1050lb load rating. I have drop -1.5” shackles with 1250lb springs from a ranger edge which are +1”. I am going to be trying some Hyperco Composite 225lb spring rate 4.5” arch(-2” compared to ranger) springs @875lb load rating for...
  2. BrownRangers

2.8L decision time.

That is one of your cam bearings. Yes remove if you are replacing(suggested) no if you are doing poor mans rebuild. The cam bearings on the 2.8 are extremely important to be installed correctly. There are some blind holes that must line up in the cam bearing line bore. If you aren't sure...
  3. BrownRangers

Difference in weight of DJM Dreambeam vs OEM cast beams? Gen 1 ranger only??

I could let you know in a month or so. I am doing the DJM upgrade from 1983-1988 to the 1989-1997 beams. I dont have the origianal to compare to but I do have some 1989-1997 stock beams. I will also have the DJM beams with bushings, rotors, calipers, lines, Timken bearings, 2.5 degree camber...
  4. BrownRangers

Spring rate vs Load rating?

Does anyone know the spring rate of the 1050lb(load rating) rear leaf springs and/or the 1350lb. Spring rate would be more in the 200-300 lbs I would assume. I was going to try to fit some fiberglass leaf springs from a different application into my truck. Thinking I might want to get some...
  5. BrownRangers

For Sale SOCAL 1st GEN parts MSD, Holley, Motorcraft, Block/Heads cores, I-beams and more

Big Update, will be adding more stuff. DM for more info or pics of particular items.
  6. BrownRangers

2.8L decision time.

You will 100% want to change the timing gears to non-fiber gearset. The factory ones as you can see are held together by a fiber material that in colder climates is know to shear off. Pretty much the only ones still available like that are the NOS Ford Motorcraft gears that no one rebuilds...
  7. BrownRangers

To rebuild or not to rebuild

Have you rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel filter yet? I would start with a simple carb rebuild. Sounds just like many a vehicles I have brought back to life before doing a carb rebuild. It might idle and run up to a certain load or RPM. When more fuel is needed, it sputters and it...
  8. BrownRangers

Mustang 4.0l V6 T-5 to 2.8???

I was looking at the T-5 for the ability for aftermarket shifters and availability for rebuilds. We also have a few race cars that use them so I have spares and get some hand me downs. There is a Quick Time bell housing that is for the 4.0 assuming they made this for the v6 mustang crowd. I...
  9. BrownRangers

Mustang 4.0l V6 T-5 to 2.8???

Anyone ever tired this? I have a fully built out 2.8 ready to swap into my 84. I know at some point with more track days in my future the TK5 will eventually die. Looking for options to have ready as spares. I already have a spare 88 2wd trans, but would consider just going the T-5 route if...
  10. BrownRangers

2.8L decision time.

Yes confirmed the numbers stamped look identical to your #2 stamped so it 99% certainty that it has not been rebuilt.
  11. BrownRangers

2.8L decision time.

Just for reference I have never seen pistons with more than .060" overbore. I worked at a machine shop when I built my 2.8 and "maxed" the deck height cut, cut the heads to a 38.6cc chamber from a 42cc and bored to .060" to get the max displacement/compression from stock available pistons...
  12. BrownRangers

2.8L decision time.

Losing compression in all cylinders sounds a bit odd. It doesnt look that bad as far as wear goes honestly. Is there any cross hatch marks visible on the cylinder walls at all? Maybe the compression check wasnt done properly. Throttle fully open when doing compression check? I could see one...
  13. BrownRangers

Probably needs a carb rebuild, accelerator pump, power valve even just some crap in the jets could cause hesitation. When I first bought mine someone used Teflon tape and every once in a while there was some clogging the jets and there was even bits of it in the fuel bowl. Simple carb rebuild...
  14. BrownRangers

Valve covers gaskets always leak on these unless replaced. If compression is good and oil is still dirty after ATF idle and drain trick and it runs(check ignition module), wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the pan and clean it the oil pickup. This would get rid of sludge that cant be removed from...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad