• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by BobH

1. 2.3L ('83-'97) Oil spec change for 1997 Ranger 2.3L ?

The owner's manual for my 1997 Ranger 2.3L engine calls for 5W30 oil. Auto parts stores and some online posts say the recommendation has changed to 5W20, based on Ford specification WSS M2C930-A. The specification apparently is not readily available online, and interpretations of it differ. Is...
  2. Are these noisy rear wheel bearings bad?

Thanks, guys. After listening more closely, I now think the noise is coming from the differential. More later if I get that far!
  3. Are these noisy rear wheel bearings bad?

If I wiggle the hub up and down or toward and away from the differential, there's a little bit of play -- enough to make a little clunk -- but not what I'd guess is excessive for a 25-year-old vehicle. If I wiggle the hub sideways, there's almost no play.
  4. Are these noisy rear wheel bearings bad?

I started with a simple task for my 1997 Ranger 2.3L: rotating tires. Then things started going downhill. First, I found that one brake drum was heavily scored, even though the brake shoe material was not worn off. I'll have to deal with the brakes. Next up: the wheel bearings, or maybe axles...
  5. Bolts not fully tightened on frame cross-member supporting transmission

On my '89, there is a frame cross-member that supports the transmission. On both sides of the truck, the bolts that connect this cross-member to the main rails are not fully tightened. Is this normal? If not, if I try to tighten a nut to take up the slack around the bold head, what is the...
  6. Temperature sender has wrong resistance

I have an '89 Ranger with a 2.3-liter 4-cylinder engine. I am trying to fix some dashboard gauges that don't work. I tested the temperature gauge itself with several resistors and determined that it is operable. A manual and other sources I found say the temperature sending unit is supposed to...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad