• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by bilbo

1. 2010 Fusion Question

Thanks for the replies, I watched one of the videos where they took it out the top and it looks like a pain. Lots of stuff has to come off, basically a bare engine at that point to get it to come out. And it has to be separated from the trans, which looks like an endeavor in and of itself...
  2. 2010 Fusion Question

For anyone who's worked on a Fusion, how bad is it to replace an engine? I have a friend with one and one of the valves disintegrated, so he's looking at putting a salvaged engine in. The shop manual says the engine comes out the bottom, but that's difficult without a hoist. Can it come out...
  3. Best tools you own

My favorite tool is the cordless Multimaster. It's not a real one, it's DeWalt's version. It seems to find its way into just about any project I'm doing. I originally got a corded one from HF to trim some laminate flooring and a door jamb and I didn't think I'd use it again. I was wrong, and...
  4. Dickinson, ND Ranger for Sale

Not mine, but saw during one of my CL browses. https://bismarck.craigslist.org/bar/d/dickinson-2wd-ford-ranger-great-mileage/7414785905.html
  5. Mud tires in snow (i know.. i know)

I used to have an XTerra that the dealer put new tires on when I purchased it. They used some Goodyear tires that were cool looking, I thought anyway. I don't remember what they were called but they were sort of like a light mud tire. Really chunky tread. Between the short wheelbase and the...
  6. Fabricating simple yet effective 4x4 "mud truck" frame

Along this subject, my sons resident Elf decided to play around with my welder last night.
  7. Fabricating simple yet effective 4x4 "mud truck" frame

I think I'd trust a used established machine over a new one from HF. I guess if the seller is a welding shop or something I'd be more concerned about condition but if it's out of someone's home garage I wouldn't be too worried. I'm no welder, but I work with a lot of them. They have all said...
  8. Carb air mixture solenoid

Mine is an early '83 as well. It had the Carter YFA feedback carb too. The O2 sensor is in the exhaust manifold; if it has the feedback system I would think it had to have had an O2 sensor. It has a single wire coming out of it. From what I could gather, the solenoid is controlled by the...
  9. Snow!

Yes. I have a couple of choices for my commute to work. Freeway, county highway, or gravel. Gravel is usually out in a bad snowstorm because it gets to the point where you cannot tell where the road is anymore. The freeway is where all of the crazies are, and usually looks like the scene of...
  10. Tell us why.

Me too. My Mom and Dad got me a tool set when I was a kid. It was just miniature versions of real tools. I guess later that day I was sawing up the framing in the basement. I loved woodworking in HS, and took a bunch of VoTech courses in woodworking and cabinetmaking. I figured it would be a...
  11. Snow!

Haha, yep I suppose that's true. The one season I don't care for at all is spring. Spring is just sloppy, soggy, grossness here. And I agree fall is the best. I'm a polar bear, and I appreciate the drop in temperature. All my favorite summertime activities are better in the fall.
  12. Snow!

We were supposed to get 2" or so but ended up getting about six on Saturday. My son got a snowmobile this fall and he was able to ride it, so that's good. I actually like the snow. It allows for lots of activities I cannot do in the summer, like snowshoeing, snowmobiling, etc. That said, I...
  13. Laser tach?

We use strobes at work for checking RPM of machinery. They work great as long as the RPM is very stable. I tried to use it at home on a lawn mower engine but it didn't work real well. The RPM moves around a little bit and I couldn't get a great read on it, but it got me close enough for a...
  14. Ranger Rear Cab Window

I was poking around on my break and noticed a window for a Ranger in an auction that's in Madison, IA. It's extra late notice, almost closing time for the auction so I apologize, but I didn't see it until just now. Looks like nobody's bid on it. Figured I'd post it here in case anyone in the...
  15. Is the *insert car, engine, tranny* any good?

My wife had a Nissan Cube with their CVT. Aside from the driving experience being different, it was fine and did not give us any problems. She couldn't care less about the driving experience. She wanted something comfortable, easy to get in and out of, and decent fuel economy. She was happy...