Recent content by 19Walt93

1. Single Flared Brake Line

Fords had double flare brake lines in the 70's, I was there.
  2. Single Flared Brake Line

Since you're a technician and know better if you have an accident caused by that flare leaking you could be held liable and a lawyer would crucify you. I'd fix it properly as soon as you can just to CYA. For decades I would advise customers about repairs they needed to do in the future and...
  3. New custom grille for 93-97

My truck came with a black billet grille that I'm not going to use. Brand new, still in the box, make an offer.
  4. New roll pan for styleside

My project truck came with a new steel roll pan still in the box. I want to sell it or trade it for a chrome rear bumper in nice shape. Make an offer.
  5. An observation....

Before the last body style change on the Super Duties the F150 bed was 4-5" higher than an F250, when I stood beside one the bed rail was even with my shoulder making the truck useless in my opinion. I had an 89 F150 4x4 for a decade that was actually useful, I could reach over the bed rail and...
  6. Problems in the rear end

If it was grinding the rear end is already damaged, you're describing a pinion bearing failure. The pinion nut needs to be tight enough to preload the bearings- I use a 1/2" impact- it does not regulate the depth, the internal shims do that. The old guy(probably younger than I am now) who ran...
  7. 84 2.0 carbed fuel system opinion

That's the solenoid, it's still worth checking. Ford released a vibration diag manual shortly after the Fairmont came out to address the problems caused by building a mid sized car that was lighter than a Pinto, since the older mechanics didn't want anything to do with chasing vibrations, I was...
  8. 84 2.0 carbed fuel system opinion

The feedback solenoid on the side of the carb is worth checking, too. We had a ton of trouble with those back then. With the key on and the engine not running touch the solenoid and you should feel it clicking on and off. If it doesn't click you may be able to clean it with throttle body...
  9. Most reliable Ranger configuration?

The most reliable used vehicle is the one that was maintained the best, at least 50% of what you're buying is the previous owner's maintenance habits. Hopefully the mechanical stuff was taken care of as well as the body and appearance. Otherwise, when it breaks down if you look really sad and...
  10. Whats this pm3 stuff...

O2 sensors and TP sensors are a pet peeve with me. Every O2 sensor operates in the same range, as does any TP sensor, so all Fords could use the same ones if they wanted to. The difference in O2's- other than heated vs non-heated- are the pigtails, if the engineers were told to make parts as...
  11. Engine assembly lube

I've always used lubriplate with good luck, a flat tappet cam would require something different. The only thing I use to lube the cylinder bores is motor oil.
  12. Whats this pm3 stuff...

I worked at a Sunoco station in the early 70's that was run by a former GM mechanic so we got a lot of his old customers. If someone with a GM complained of highway surging the first thing we'd check was the spark plugs, replace the Champions with AC's and the surge was instantly gone.
  13. Opinions on different brands and types of dry gas

I would look for isopropanol based dry gas if you decide to use it, methanol is bad news. I personally haven't used any since they added ethanol to the gas. I worked at a Sunoco station from 72-75 and the delivery driver would always check the tanks for water with litmus paper before dropping...
  14. SBC swap because...

Thank you for not calling the 8.8 a posi, Ford never made a posi but Eaton now sells one you can put in an 8.8. I drag raced for 20+ years and spent too many hours baking in the sun in the staging lanes while the guts of a sbc were cleaned off the track. If you're going to run the sbc hard make...
  15. Throttle Linkage for SBF, 99' Ranger

I used the factory gauges except for oil pressure on my 351 swapped 93 Ranger by using a 93 Mustang GT temp sender and a 2nd generation alternator like the truck would have come with. You could use the oil pressure gauge, too, but be aware that it's not really a gauge- when it sees oil pressure...