• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck dies while driving?? Starts right back up every time.

stevealvey24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1986 Ranger with a 2.9 and a couple of times this week it has died whil driving, no particular rpm or speed. But it will start right back up. Also cuts out like ignition was turned off but picks right back up again as if nothing happened. It has a new ignition controle module, spark plugs, plug wires, ignition coil, distributor, fuel filter. Fuel pressure is fine. Could it possibly be the injectors? they are the only thing that hasn't been looked at or cleaned on the truck. Thanks for any replies.

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Both fuel filters? On some trucks there is a filter between the in-tank pump and the frame-rail pump in a vertical canister.

After that's cleared up, I'd either have the TFI tested or test it myself (info in the tech library). I've heard of new-in-box units being bad within 5 minutes.

stevealvey24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes both filters, and I have six injectors that i cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaner at work and had them flow tested to specs. I mat pull the tfi module off this weekend when I install the injectors and have it tested. Thanks.

Last edited:

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
It's stupid, but check relays. My first ranger had problematic relays and would cut off the fuel pump randomly while driving.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
One thing you might check....get it running and move the plug-in around to the coil. I cleaned mine one day and it looked new and then it wouldn't start at all. A friend who does mobile diagnostics came over,jiggled the plug in and it fired right up but the plug-in was still bad and the idle would move up and down when it was moved. Might not be your problem but easy to check.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check your ignition switch while you're at it.

stevealvey24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So at work today I put on another tps and it didn't act up in the way home? Or sheer dumb luck that my dad followed me home from work at it just didn't wanna act up. Sound like it couldn've been the culprit? And thanks for the suggestions guys.

khast2010

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
check the emergency feul cut-off switch. (on driver side under where feet go). if it is going bad it may act and cause problems similar to what you are experienceing, then again not sure if it is there, or even on earlier models

-kyler

ocelotl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2 fuel filters?

Both fuel filters? On some trucks there is a filter between the in-tank pump and the frame-rail pump in a vertical canister.

After that's cleared up, I'd either have the TFI tested or test it myself (info in the tech library). I've heard of new-in-box units being bad within 5 minutes.
i need some help! i have TRIED many times to find the stinkin' fuel filter on my '86 2.9 V6 4x4. NO LUCK!

where the hell is it? does it have two or only one? i have checked the black canister underneath the driver seat area but it turns out it was the fuel pump. i am stumped :icon_confused: and have asked other members and no one has been able to help me find the blasted thing!

help a brother out! :icon_bounceblue:

thanks in advance!

ocelotl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
me too!

I have a 1986 Ranger with a 2.9 and a couple of times this week it has died whil driving, no particular rpm or speed. But it will start right back up. Also cuts out like ignition was turned off but picks right back up again as if nothing happened. It has a new ignition controle module, spark plugs, plug wires, ignition coil, distributor, fuel filter. Fuel pressure is fine. Could it possibly be the injectors? they are the only thing that hasn't been looked at or cleaned on the truck. Thanks for any replies.
hey bro i recently (about a month ago) posted the same issue (we basically have the same truck) the thing with mine is that it will only cut off (like if it ran out of gas) when it the engine gets hot (even thought temp gauge reads mormal). once it is allowed to cool down it starts right back up again like yours.

funny thing is that i have done the EXACT same problem fixers you did and still it does it. i am still stumped :icon_confused:

stevealvey24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On my Ranger the fuel filter was directly beside the transfer case on the drivers side, I mean directly beside it. I wount up having to pull the whole housing of to change the filter. It was STUCK!!!!

stevealvey24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Guess What To All!!! It was the iginition switch the whole time. I jiggled it when i pulled in the driveway today and BAM it died!

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Guess What To All!!! It was the iginition switch the whole time. I jiggled it when i pulled in the driveway today and BAM it died!
You're welcome. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals