• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Older BII fuel tank in ranger bed (pic)

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I just searched through 10-15 threads on this subject and couldn't find the info I needed.

background:I have an older 84 BII tank (from a carbed 2.8) that I would like to run in my 91 ranger. The plan is to throw the 84 BII tank in the bed just behind the cab and possibly cut a hole in the bed, or lose the bed all together so that the tank sits a little lower down between the frame rails. Not concerned at all with fillerneck location, or with the setup being butt ugly, I can fab up an enclosure and worry about that later. I have to make room for the doubler and right now I am trying not to break the bank with a fuel cell etc. I know that these older models used two fuel pumps and possibly different sending units than newer rangers and BII with efi, which leads us to my question

The real issue at hand:
Can I simply use my newer pump assembly out of my 1991 2.9 liter tank and drop it into this bII gas tank lenghten the lines and be done with it? I have seen some pictures online and it appears as though the hole size for the tank may be different...if so can it be easily modified to fit?

here is a picture of my 1984 BII fuel tank for reference. 23 gallon I believe, which would be nice, i would actually have an increased capacity. Its kinda nasty on the outside but clean as a whistle inside.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
just read through it, again...but not sure it answers my question. All I found was stuff on shortening the sending unit, to fit what looks like a 13 gallon aux tank....again not so concerned with tank placement as I am with just getting the current fuel system to swap between tanks.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the '84 had a mechanical fuel pump on the engine. your '91 is fuel injected with the pump in the tank, thus the bigger hole.
what i found for my '83 was an aluminum motor boat tank that held 27 gallons. the size was 48"x18"x6" approx. and fit in the bed perfectly. you might try shopping around for a good used one from a fi boat motor that has the pump in it. mine was only $50 in excellent condition. just an idea.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Did more searching, Found out the pump is a direct swap just need to use the B2 tank retaining ring with my ranger pump and should be set. Thanks for the replies.

Edit: If anyone cares:
(^This is only true for 1985 and newer tanks with a 3 5/8" opening^. The 1984 tank which is what Ive got only has a 2" opening and is NOT compatible.):annoyed:

Last edited:

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I did pick up a 88 BII fuel tank in mint condition. It was missing a locking ring so I hit up a salvage yard and pulled one from a 90 BII.

While there I checked out the differences between tank locking rings, pumps, and sending units from 1st and second gen rangers and Bronco IIs (86-92). I found suttle differences in each but they all appear to be compatable (measuring the same at the tank opening) with little or no modification or complete unit swaps from tank to tank, bearing in mind some models had two pumps instead of one, etc.

(the ol' carbed 84-85 models with the 2" hole will not interchange with the 86+ tank setups at all)

Then I snagged a 1990 Aerostar van speedo cable to fit my rear T-case as these cables are slightly longer than RBV's. I also noticed the tanks from these vans would most likely work with rangers/BII as well.

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
I think you would be better off with a used keg for a tank than that old nasty tank. I am willing to bet that it is full of rust.

But then again the keg would be better off full of beer:icon_thumby:

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I think you would be better off with a used keg for a tank than that old nasty tank. I am willing to bet that it is full of rust.

But then again the keg would be better off full of beer:icon_thumby:
A keg would be cool but way more work then its worth. Actually rust was my main concern but I checked and both the tank I posted (which was just dirty, I cleaned it up before realizing it wouldn't work) and the tank I got today are literally spotless inside, thanks to the lack of humidity in colorado. I really dont care to put alot of work or money into this, as I just want the tank up and out of the way so I can finish and install my doubler and go wheel this beeyotch. The BII's tank dimensions should work out great for leaving plenty of room in the bed for other gear regardless of where I put it.

speaking of kegs Im off to drink some green beer:D:icon_cheers:

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Newer 88 Bronco II tank from the salvage yard is on the left, and the old 84 carbed BII tank from the picture above on the right. You can pretty clearly see the difference in opening hole sizes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals