• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 performance mods

rcpilot24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I forget to mention his truck has the SOHC. That engine factory produces 207 at the crankshaft. He is also running the automatic with an 8.8. I am running the stock 7.5. Hopefully soon will get the 8.8 but i dont like the fact that the explorer rear end is one inch longer. I may find one of the earlier 8.8 28 spline and due the 31 spline conversion with axle braces. Mostly because the rear end is two inches narrower and the braces because of the tube diameter being small.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know people with seriously fast cars that would sell their wife & kids for a .2 improvement.
Lucky wife and kids. Nice to know people have a good grasp of what's important in life.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The dyno we have is free to auto club members.
Got a copy of the dyno chart?

I agree with the statement the engine is already in the truck so modify that one instead of buying another.
Why not buy a production vehicle in the first place that already has the power you want and engineered by qualified engineers who know what their doing?

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got a copy of the dyno chart?
Why do you care to look at the Dyno sheet, its not going to mean anything to you. You dont care to mod your vehicle, and have a seriously asinine outlook towards anyone that wants to mod their truck. Drive your stock truck & be happy, if you need to change something, stick to adjusting the radio. Feel safe in that all the engineering that went into the radio was to ensure that the common person should not have any problems getting from station to station.

JPO2XLT

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Why do you care to look at the Dyno sheet,
If anybody wants a true comparison of if this stuff works then a dyno sheet is pretty much necessary. You should want one just to say to me, "SEE, it is worth all that money and time". Most of these "mods" have not had any scientific analysis, just butt dynos, claims by manufacturers, and teenage mentalities doing the assessments.

Feel safe in that all the engineering that went into the radio
Well it sure beats the engineering that goes into these seat-of-the-pants "performance mods". Boy, you've got thin skin, I guess I hit a nerve close to the surface. It appears you've got way too much emotional commitment tied up in your truck and I guess it's your reason for getting up in the morning.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Why not buy a production vehicle in the first place that already has the power you want and engineered by qualified engineers who know what their doing?

because there wasn't a 4.0 Flex Fuel, and they don't make 4 cylinder 4WD's anymore, which is stupid because by the time they killed the Vulcan, the 2.3 Duratech was putting out damn near the same HP.

At least those are my official excuses.:icon_twisted:

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Boy, you've got thin skin, I guess I hit a nerve close to the surface. It appears you've got way too much emotional commitment tied up in your truck and I guess it's your reason for getting up in the morning.
Some of the best products do not come from the big auto mfg's many times an idea & proto-type comes from someone tinkering in their garage to build something that they need to do a specific task or improve a situation they encounter. I really dont have "thin" skin, I dont give a damn if you like my truck, your truck or anyone elses for that matter, I like my truck, I fully understand what I have done is not for everyone & I really appreciate that as I would not want a vehicle like mine if you owned one just like it. Some people are happy to follow the norm, I applaud those who do not.

Anybody who takes information regarding a mod strictly from a Dyno can easily be mislead, Dyno's are only part of the equation of evaluating the performance of a change, and data can be skewed to be very misleading by operator error as well as operational settings be it intentional or accidental.

What I get tired of are people like you who jump into a thread ridiculing those for changing, or even asking about modding a vehicle in terms of what they desire based solely of your beliefs, with no experiences stated, & nothing other than your empty argumentative process to back up your claims, Seems there are a lot of people on this site in particular that believe all mods are worthless. It probably would be a good idea to start a totally stock truck thread for you guys to express yourselves in. It would give you a place to brag on how stock your truck is, and how much better it is than other stock trucks, and how you replace stock parts with replacement stock parts for repair, along with the general benefits from installed new parts. That sounds like big fun!

Does every mod work, no, but there are mods that do work, I have 2 trucks to prove it any day of the week via the local drag strip, If you want to see it for yourself, let me know, & bring cash, cost just depends if you want to pay for Fast or Faster. Rearranger this offer stands anytime. :D

JP02XLT

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What I get tired of are people like you who jump into a thread ridiculing those for changing, or even asking about modding a vehicle in terms of what they desire based solely of your beliefs, with no experiences stated, & nothing other than your empty argumentative process to back up your claims, Seems there are a lot of people on this site in particular that believe all mods are worthless. It probably would be a good idea to start a totally stock truck thread for you guys to express yourselves in. It would give you a place to brag on how stock your truck is, and how much better it is than other stock trucks, and how you replace stock parts with replacement stock parts for repair, along with the general benefits from installed new parts. That sounds like big fun!
I couldn't have said it better myself, especially the part about nothing other than empty argumentative processes to back up their claims. I was recently banned from one of the other Ranger sites because some clown made a factual claim in regard to a Ranger modification, and I challenged him provide proof to back up his claim, and he kept ducking me, and then the moderator got involved and because the clown was his little buddy, the moderator banned me. What a crock.

rcpilot24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well then. I do not have a copy anymore but i can get one once school is back in session. By the way i am attending vincennes university in auto tech. i am 25 years old. I built my first truck from the ground up at 15. it was an older gmc 2500. Yes i may be young but i also built race cars in high school. the last car i helped build won the track championship in 2009 modified class. I guess i am too young to fully understand how an engine runs and how it works. For your info i am building a 350 in class right now for an 83 cutlass. It came with 76cc chambers so i decided to not modify it alot. I am putting a two barrel carb and intake along with a slightly larger cam. going from .250 lift to .325 lift. installing a set of g body headers to top it off. The car will be sold so i dont care how much power it makes. hoping for 200 at the crank. The reason i swapped intakes was to save the 4 barrel for the 400 we are building for an 86 monte carlo. But i guess i have no place here. Whatever you want to say about me go for it. I do things to my vehicle that suit me and only me. I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks. I started this thread to talk about 3.0 performance mods. No matter what forums i join there are always people there that try to make themselves look they are better than everyone else. But you know what i don't claim to know everything. never will. I just want to learn as much as i can seeing that this is my first ford i have ever owned. This was supposed to be a fun thread but some people decided to take the fun out of it. I am very passionate about being called a teenager. I have fought my whole life with older guys trying to tell me i don't know anything. It was very hard being a 17 year old race engine builder amoungst men twice my age doing it for longer than i have been alive. So all of that was said to hopefully shed some light on who i am and why i do things. Racing is in my blood and that is what i know. My dad taught me everything i know he is an ase master technition and has been for 35 years. he used to build race engines and race cars too. But you know what i think i will just pull the engine and put a big block in it. that will make it so streetable. maybe put some nos on it too. Is that what you wanted me to say.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Dyno's are only part of the equation of evaluating the performance of a change,
What would the other parts be?

data can be skewed to be very misleading by operator error as well as operational settings be it intentional or accidental.
Agreed, but where else would you start? If K&N provided dyno results would you blindly accept or question? Do you think the .2 sec 0-60 improvement in the other thread was real or just gauge error or atmospheric conditions? You became defensive as though you accepted it as gospel with your jaw dropped in envy as it seemed to justify your own K&N, even when you felt no improvement and admitted to not being able to show proof of gains. The .2 poster felt it wasn't worth the cost.

What I get tired of are people like you who jump into a thread ridiculing those for changing, or even asking about modding a vehicle
The OP asked - "opinions?", Even though I suspect he just wanted to hear the ones supporting his decisions. The other thread I commented on asked "Worth the cost?" Seems both are open for pros and cons. I guess if they said, "Just tell me what I want to hear", I would have stayed out. Do you always just want to hear opinions that support your decisions?

Does every mod work, no, but there are mods that do work,
Great, show us proof and give us the cost and other downsides. NASCAR shows us every weekend mods do work, but we're not talking about those types of mods and that type of driving.

I have 2 trucks to prove it any day of the week via the local drag strip
Prove what, you're truck's faster than mine? Do you think I care? I only care if people are using public roads as a drag strip or race track and putting us all in danger while they look to win meaningless bragging rights in a juvenile pissing match.

I look forward to seeing the before and after dyno charts for this thread's mods, will you accept them as proof or "skewed data"?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
....this type of retardation is always entertaining on TRS.

;brownbag;

If you want more performance (I'm assuming faster acceleration on pavement?) from your 3.0, you can:
Get lower gearing
Add nitrous
Add one of the various types of forced induction along with additional fuel
Make internal engine mods to improve airflow at a given RPM along with additional fuel
Buy a damn sports car

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
RearRanger

Seriously, I don't have a K&N intake, and this is not the intellectual argument that you think it is, as none of your arguments or comments have any supporting facts.

JP02XLT

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The OP asked - "opinions?".
This is true! , but your first post\/\/\/\/\/ gave no opinion at all. Just a personal attack on me, and a reference to an old thread.

Why, you think .2 sec 0-60 is a great return. :icon_rofl:
How is that constructive in any way? You can make fun of me all you want, but atleast TRY and contribute something to the topic at hand. You've had to defend yourself in all of your subsequent posts, (without actually providing anything pertaining to the topic yet), because you came off like an ass. If your first post had said "I don't think you'll see any gains, but I'd like to see some conclusive dyno results too", nobody would have had a problem with it.

The bottom line is, both sides of this argument are interested in the dyno test results.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Agreed, but where else would you start? If K&N provided dyno results would you blindly accept or question? Do you think the .2 sec 0-60 improvement in the other thread was real or just gauge error or atmospheric conditions? You became defensive as though you accepted it as gospel with your jaw dropped in envy as it seemed to justify your own K&N, even when you felt no improvement and admitted to not being able to show proof of gains. The .2 poster felt it wasn't worth the cost.

I look forward to seeing the before and after dyno charts for this thread's mods, will you accept them as proof or "skewed data"?
So far, there has been a dyno test by the manufacturer, and a personal anectdote from a fellow poster (in another thread that you've been referencing) that both support mild performance gains from some of these products. You acknowledge both of those. Yet, you deny that the mods discussed can do anything. Now ask yourself, who is really afraid to accept proof, or considers things to be "skewed data"? Where's your proof that they do nothing? Seems to me that so far, there's more evidence that supports my case than yours.

If the dyno results show an increase in performance for the OP, are you willing to concede that some of the mods work? I'd willingly conced that they do nothing if the OP's dyno run shows it. I appreciate your skepticism, and desire to have unbiased data, but your attitude toward the other posters here is all wrong.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals