• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Questions about buying 5.0 Rangers

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
No, this isnt a question about swapping one in...:thefinger:

Im going to be looking at a 1986 ranger with a 5.0 thats I found craigslist soon:yahoo: and had some questions on what to look for. Im pretty knowledgable when comes to looking at ranger's bodies, suspension, brakes, interiors, electrical, basically everything but driveline, and seeing if they're good or not. But the whole swap thing throws a twist into it...

-How do I tell if the swap has been performed properly and it'll be safe?
-I dont, know too much about 5.0's, what do I look/listen/feel for when inspecting them...the ad says the engine was recently rebuilt.
-Same with the tranny, it's an AOD, so what should I look/listen/feel for to see if it's working properly?
-I know there are so many different heads, intakes, exhausts and other parts for the 5.0, how would I find out what parts this engine all has?
-Overall, what should I look for and ask when I go to look at this truck?

Im really excited about looking it and maybe buying it, but dont want to buy something that was throw together all willy nilly and have to deal with a lawn ornament, so I want to go in with some background knowledge in 5.0 rangers.

Ill be sure to take pics and post them up when I go to look at it.:icon_thumby:

Thanks to all ahead of time.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pictures by all means. Is it a local truck? Got the CL posting? He might be a member on RPS. Really hard to tell what parts are on it, carb or EFI? Can't recall any 5.0 swaps down that way other than Duster (the tank guy).
Dave

Last edited:

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Ask them if they did the swap or had someone else do it for them.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I always ask to take a vehicle out for a quick spin when I'm looking. If there's anything wrong, it'll show up on the road. If he's iffy about letting you drive his truck...tell him to come along for the ride.

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pictures by all means. Is it a local truck? Got the CL posting? He might be a member on RPS. Really hard to tell what parts are on it, carb or EFI? Can't recall any 5.0 swaps down that way other than Duster (the tank guy).
Dave
Ditto, I've never seen a ranger V-8 build that hasn't had some sort of activity on RPS or TRS... not exactly a dime a dozen :icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it is 2wd and they used the Hedman 89500 swap headers there will probably be some interferance with the passenger side front axle beam.

If it is 4wd check for clearance for the oil drain plug with the passenger side beam pivet bracket.

Drive it for sure. I would never buy a vehicle by just looking at it. If they won't let you drive it run hard.

Some trimming of the core support to move the radiator is commonly done, as long as they did cut away ALOT of it don't let it scare you. Some people get the mentality that I got this rad for free, out comes the sawzall and by god its gunna to fit.

Electric fans are usually required. Make sure they are wired properly, a friend of my brother has them on his Foxbody and they are just wired to a toggle switch... I wouldn't think it would take too many times of forgetting to turn
them on to cook a engine.

If it is carbed, make sure it has the right sized carb on it. Some people get really optimistic about how big of a carb their 302 needs.

That is all I can think of right now...

Last edited:

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Ya its local...it's somewherez in Waukesha

And it might actually be the one I saw on CL about 6 months ago, that was also a 1986 ranger with a 5.0 and AOD...I dont think to many people have that exact combo, at least here anyways. If it is in fact that truck, I emailed the guy about it we he first posted it and got some info...it's a 1989 5.0HO and AOD from a mustang GT that had 52,000miles on it and sat for 3 years before the rebuild and swap into the ranger. The body had 154,000miles on it and was redone in 1998. He said the engine and trans cost him $750 and total the swap cost him 3,400 big ones, which leads me to believe that a shop did it.

Ill post a link if I dont buy it...dont want any competition:thefinger:

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
I have confirmed it is the same ranger I saw on CL 6 months ago, same guy by the name of Bob Cherney. Anyone know if he's on TRS or any of the other ranger forums?

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
No, this isnt a question about swapping one in...:thefinger:

Im going to be looking at a 1986 ranger with a 5.0 thats I found craigslist soon:yahoo: and had some questions on what to look for. Im pretty knowledgable when comes to looking at ranger's bodies, suspension, brakes, interiors, electrical, basically everything but driveline, and seeing if they're good or not. But the whole swap thing throws a twist into it...

-How do I tell if the swap has been performed properly and it'll be safe?
-I dont, know too much about 5.0's, what do I look/listen/feel for when inspecting them...the ad says the engine was recently rebuilt.
-Same with the tranny, it's an AOD, so what should I look/listen/feel for to see if it's working properly?
-I know there are so many different heads, intakes, exhausts and other parts for the 5.0, how would I find out what parts this engine all has?
-Overall, what should I look for and ask when I go to look at this truck?

Im really excited about looking it and maybe buying it, but dont want to buy something that was throw together all willy nilly and have to deal with a lawn ornament, so I want to go in with some background knowledge in 5.0 rangers.

Ill be sure to take pics and post them up when I go to look at it.:icon_thumby:

Thanks to all ahead of time.

One thing, Bro. If you have no knowledge of this kind of swap...don't buy it. If you can find somebody to go with you that is a real geek at motors...take him along...if not...you could be buying a real POS!!!!!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'd be real careful with that trans. AODs are, IME, finiky creatures that have three states. Working perfectly, slipping and skipping shifts, and blown up. They experience all 3 regularly and can change between them without notice, in no particular order, and in any direction that they choose.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya its local...it's somewherez in Waukesha

And it might actually be the one I saw on CL about 6 months ago, that was also a 1986 ranger with a 5.0 and AOD...I dont think to many people have that exact combo, at least here anyways. If it is in fact that truck, I emailed the guy about it we he first posted it and got some info...it's a 1989 5.0HO and AOD from a mustang GT that had 52,000miles on it and sat for 3 years before the rebuild and swap into the ranger. The body had 154,000miles on it and was redone in 1998. He said the engine and trans cost him $750 and total the swap cost him 3,400 big ones, which leads me to believe that a shop did it.

Ill post a link if I dont buy it...dont want any competition:thefinger:
$3400 probably isnt' that far out of line for doing it yourself actually, especially with a fuel injected engine.

With $400 in my engine and trans I know I have over a grand in everything else so far on a carbed swap... with no exhaust or driveshafts yet.

I'd be real careful with that trans. AODs are, IME, finiky creatures that have three states. Working perfectly, slipping and skipping shifts, and blown up. They experience all 3 regularly and can change between them without notice, in no particular order, and in any direction that they choose.
They are a common tranny for RBV V8 swaps.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
They are a common tranny for RBV V8 swaps.
I know they are. I also know a lot of Mustang and FSB guys who blow up a lot of AODs with stock engines. I used to work with a guy who went through 5 of them before getting a T-5 in his Fox body.

They like to lose OD. Just like the A4LD, they are great until they aren't, but I've seen a lot of them go from looking like they are knocking on death's door to being fine, to not working at all and back again in a week. AODEs are worse.

I'm just trying to let the OP know of something to keep an eye out for.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm just trying to let the OP know of something to keep an eye out for.
That is fine, I would want to check out any tranny.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals