• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow Hooks?

K-Slice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine doesn't have any, but I want some.

I looked around for guides or any info on putting them on an older (pre 1993) Ranger, but found nothing. I'm sure people have done it. I just wanna know the best way to mount them on these frames. So lemme know what you have and how you put them on!

Thanks.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i mounted a pair of the hook style ones (with the spring clips to keep your strap from falling loose) on the bottom side of each frame rail on the front of my 90, i lined up one hole and put a bolt through, then drilled a second hole in the frame so the other bolt could go through. sorry i dont have any pics for you

Stxrangerbumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009 / 1993
Make / Model
B2300 / f250HD
Engine Size
v6 3.0L/ 7.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have use hooks of 1998-99 ,2000 exploder sports .... really are scarce to find. I really experienced difficulty has find them . I've made more place a J-Y to find it

Last edited:

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
I made a front reciever for my 89 BII. It's just a square tubing rectangle that goes from the front of the sway bar bracket to the front end of the frame, with a piece of flat stock welded to the top of it that is under the sway bar bracket. A total of 8 1/2" grade 8's hold it on. I put two pieces of heavy angle back to back down the center of it to fit a drawbar made out of solid 2 inch stock and milled the end for a clevis. Then I bent steel to resemble hooks, wrapped them around the front piece of tube and welded all around. I know pics would help if I get a chance. All the holes were there already I just had to clearance them to get the holes in my hombrew hitch to lineup. In fact, now that I think of it there are two holes on the front of each frame rail, you could bolt on standard automobile tow hooks from tractor supply.

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah that's what I saw at my tractor supply, the second one, #1891535. Mine already had holes right there on the frame rails that look perfectly made for them, but last year I was a senior that wanted to make something in metal shop and had a bronco ii with no front hitch. If I had to do it now without a nice mig and bandsaw I wouldnt hesitate to put the hooks on. I've also heard horror stories about pulling so hard on one hook that one side of the frame pulled ahead which means you have some fawked steering. The hitch also makes a nice frame stiffener and radiator protector, plus it distributes load to both frame rails. But my point is I would spend 40 bucks on towhooks and bolts rather than 150 plus for a factory hitch.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah that's what I saw at my tractor supply, the second one, #1891535. Mine already had holes right there on the frame rails that look perfectly made for them, but last year I was a senior that wanted to make something in metal shop and had a bronco ii with no front hitch. If I had to do it now without a nice mig and bandsaw I wouldnt hesitate to put the hooks on. I've also heard horror stories about pulling so hard on one hook that one side of the frame pulled ahead which means you have some fawked steering. The hitch also makes a nice frame stiffener and radiator protector, plus it distributes load to both frame rails. But my point is I would spend 40 bucks on towhooks and bolts rather than 150 plus for a factory hitch.
Yes, you should have a proper strap that will pull both hooks evenly...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
front hitches are nice to have..

K-Slice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, you should have a proper strap that will pull both hooks evenly...
What kind of strap is that??

If I had all kinds of time, money for a welder, and a place to work it would be nice to have a front hitch, or even a rear one for that matter... Unfortunatley I have none of those things... Looks like I'll just be looking for some good places that already have holes or could have holes to mount some hooks. Thought maybe there were some places that were stronger than others or something. Thanks for the help so far!

And I've never had a truck without a real reciever in back, so I've never though about this. But the bumper hitch probably isn't a good recovery point right?

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have use hooks of 1998-99 ,2000 exploder sports .... really are scarce to find. I really experienced difficulty has find them . I've made more place a J-Y to find it
Are those tow hooks off the rear of a explorer sport, they look just like the one on the back of mine

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals