• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to remove hose from clutch master?

bhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
94 Ranger. Clutch master must be replaced. I see a roll pin that needs to be pushed out to get the main supply hose from the master to the clutch slave removed. But how to do that with the master bolted in place? There is no room to move near there.
Do you guys remove the hose with the master cylinder and then disengage the hose from the master on the bench? Problem with that is it doesn't look easy to get that winding thick hose out either. We have a 4x4 and lots of that is in the way.
Is there a way to remove the hose at the master before you unbolt it? Or some other trick to get that hose connection disengaged the easiest.

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
IIRC you need the special ford hydraulic fitting tool made for the clutch line.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
IIRC you need the special ford hydraulic fitting tool made for the clutch line.
You are thinking of the slave fitting.

The master has a roll pin in it that holds the line in place. Get a small punch and pop the pin out. The line just pops out then.

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
^This^

I removed mine from the firewall though instead of leaving it in place.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I removed mine from the firewall though instead of leaving it in place.
^That^

I'm pretty sure I did too. I don't really remember for sure. It was cold out. And about a year ago.

Joey Stacks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used a small ice pick looking thing and tapped it out

bhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
To close this thread, I will answer my own question. Yes the roll pin just taps out, but that has to be done on the bench because you need to install the new hose, or old hose on a new master cylinder on the bench to bleed the master. Even if you successfully removed and reinstalled the pressure hose at the master cylinder by removing the roll pin in that location, you will never bleed the master on the truck, given the configuration of the master on the firewall. It has to be bled on the bench with the pressure hose attached. Once it is bled properly, it is not that hard to install the new master with hose attached to the firewall. I know the above because we installed a new clutch master cylinder yesterday.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
To close this thread, I will answer my own question. Yes the roll pin just taps out, but that has to be done on the bench because you need to install the new hose, or old hose on a new master cylinder on the bench to bleed the master. Even if you successfully removed and reinstalled the pressure hose at the master cylinder by removing the roll pin in that location, you will never bleed the master on the truck, given the configuration of the master on the firewall. It has to be bled on the bench with the pressure hose attached. Once it is bled properly, it is not that hard to install the new master with hose attached to the firewall. I know the above because we installed a new clutch master cylinder yesterday.
Bumping this old thread with a follow-up question... What if I get the replacement line that is already filled with fluid and thus "pre-bled"? Might it then be possible to just swap out the line while leaving the master in place?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Bumping this old thread with a follow-up question... What if I get the replacement line that is already filled with fluid and thus "pre-bled"? Might it then be possible to just swap out the line while leaving the master in place?
Assuming you can even get the clearance to get both hands, a punch and a hammer in there, you'd still be introducing at least a tiny bit of air into the system when you disconnect the line. Just pull the master and hose, it's pretty easy to remove as an assembly.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Assuming you can even get the clearance to get both hands, a punch and a hammer in there, you'd still be introducing at least a tiny bit of air into the system when you disconnect the line. Just pull the master and hose, it's pretty easy to remove as an assembly.
Fair enough, that will be the plan.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals