• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Am I an idiot for wanting to reuse the plastic clips on the fuel filter connectors?

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 94 ranger with fuel connectors that have these clips:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DOR3/55147.oap?pt=N1651&ppt=C0290

It's recommended to replace them. But, it seems that they might be reusable and mine are fairly new -- about 3 years old living in a comfy climate. I'm just wondering how to take them out of there in tact if that's not a stupid way to save a trip to the parts store.

There's a tab on them called the "shipping tab" that will probably act as a barb to keep them from being pushed back into the coupling. I'm wondering how to push that through without breaking it or if breaking it doesn't compromise the integrity of the clip. I can't see how the clip could just fall out based on pressure acting in multiple directions to keep it in place.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i reuse these all the time. you just push them right back in.

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Any cool tips on getting those clips out of there?

As a funny aside...
I just saw a good youtube vid on exactly my truck and the dude didn't run the fuel out of the system before pulling the connector. I was thinking of skipping that just figuring "how much could it be?" Turns out, the guy got completely covered with fuel -- at least a quart at high pressure after relieving with the schraeder valve. So, I guess I should not skip that. I'm also wondering if just letting it sit overnight would be enough.

schlutzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Easiest way to relieve the fuel pressure is to disconnect the interia switch, which is inside the cab on the passenger side firewall, somewhat close tot he trans tunnel. Should have a red button and a clip with tons of wires, just pull the clip out.

Then strat the truck, should run for a sec then die, and there fuel system is relieved. I did NOT do this after my truck sat for a year and I got tons of fuel in the face, safety glasses are a must.

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Easiest way to relieve the fuel pressure is to disconnect the interia switch, which is inside the cab on the passenger side firewall, somewhat close tot he trans tunnel. Should have a red button and a clip with tons of wires, just pull the clip out.

Then strat the truck, should run for a sec then die, and there fuel system is relieved. I did NOT do this after my truck sat for a year and I got tons of fuel in the face, safety glasses are a must.
Easier way is to take your closed fist, or the end of a screwdriver or hammer, and lightly tap it until it pops. It just senses an impact and pops up, killing the fuel pump.

Or pull the fuel pump fuse or relay, all 3 methods work fine. However, when you pull the filter, all the fuel in the lines will drain out so it does make a mess, but at least it doesnt spray everywhere!

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I reuse these but keep some around there cheap and sometimes they break.I put a screwdriver under them and pull straight up.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Any cool tips on getting those clips out of there?

As a funny aside...
I just saw a good youtube vid on exactly my truck and the dude didn't run the fuel out of the system before pulling the connector. I was thinking of skipping that just figuring "how much could it be?" Turns out, the guy got completely covered with fuel -- at least a quart at high pressure after relieving with the schraeder valve. So, I guess I should not skip that. I'm also wondering if just letting it sit overnight would be enough.
stick a flat screw driver under the tab and gently twist while you get a finger on the backside to help push/spread the tabs.

if you're replacing the fuel filter most new filters come with new clips anyway

jhammel85

Whatever you do, put them back in right and make sure they click...One of mine slid off and left me stranded for a little bit while I replaced them on the side of the road in a puddle of fuel.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Not a bad idea to put a zip-tie over the tab on the clip to be sure it isn't going anywhere.

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
> Not a bad idea to put a zip-tie over the tab on the clip to be sure it isn't going anywhere.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Zip ties, the duct tape of the new millenium...

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nah, there's nothing that can replace duct tape. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals