• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lower ball joints on 3" drop beams

vanillagorilla250

I've got an 83 Ranger that I recently put a 3/4 drop kit on. I was told that the maker of the beams that I purchased was Rancho... I was skeptical at first that they were even drop beams until I got to look at them... Anyway, I'm not sure of the manufacturer so I can't really look up any information on my issue. The factory lower ball joints are not deep enough to get a snap ring on when I have them pressed into place. The area they press into is about a 1/4" thicker than stock. Can anyone tell me if they make a special lower ball joint for this setup or am I just supposed to run it with only a snap ring on the top ball joint? I can post pictures later today when I get home as I am at work right now...

vanillagorilla250

So, I guess I cannot post attachments... Really didn't do me any good to take all those pictures then...

Apollo-Soyuz 1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L Lima 4-cyl
Transmission
Manual
Set up a Photobucket or Imageshack account, then upload your photos there. You'll be able to post them here using the
tags.

vanillagorilla250

Alright... I'll do that tonight while I'm at work...

vanillagorilla250

These are all the pictures I took the other day. The top and bottom ball joints both have the same size seat area, so I just used the same ball joint for comparison. I can get a snap ring around the top ball joint but, as you can see, the ball joint doesn't fully come through the beam on the bottom. It's actually the exact same size. I've been looking at a lot of different drop beams and it appears to me that they all have a thicker area where the bottom ball joint presses in. They all seem to say to use the OEM ball joints. So, I guess my question is can I run my truck with a snap ring only on the top ball joint?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I would say you should be fine. It is a press fit, and all the weight of the vehicle will be forcing upwards, keeping it in the beam. Its not like you're jumping this thing.

vanillagorilla250

that's what I figured... I just wanted a second opinion before I went ahead with it... I'll get more pix once I get the suspension fully dropped...

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Those beams are most likely DJM if they are the round ones. Not Rancho. Rancho makes lifted stuff.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 90 Ranger only has one balljoint that has a c clip.. Don't remember if it is top or bottom though.. It is a completly different I Beam setup..... compare the way it is set up from the Factory beams and judge what to do from that....

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Those beams are most likely DJM if they are the round ones. Not Rancho. Rancho makes lifted stuff.
Those don't look like DJM beams to me... unless they are really old like before the dream beams... no offence but those almost look home made....

vanillagorilla250

They've got a part number stamped into them somewhere. They were bright red just like Rancho stuff is when I got them. I painted them black b/c they've been moved around the garage so much. They look to be really good quality. Stout as hell. I'll post any info I find.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They've got a part number stamped into them somewhere. They were bright red just like Rancho stuff is when I got them. I painted them black b/c they've been moved around the garage so much. They look to be really good quality. Stout as hell. I'll post any info I find.
Here is the DJMs on my Ranger.. Looking at them you will see why I don't think they are DJMs unless they are an old version.. To my knowledge the first ibeams were boxed welded... I'd love to know what kind yours are too..

vanillagorilla250

Well, I looked all over them as best as I could... I only found one stamping of about 6 numbers. After the third time I hit my head on the same damn bolt... I didnt care anymore! I know they're not homemade, I just wonder if they weren't like an experimental set from somewhere. U can tell that they are drop beams and they are very stout. If I ever come up with any more concrete info I'll post it as soon as I can... I'll get some more pix up later today, too...

vanillagorilla250

Y is my truck so "toe out" now that its dropped? Is that something that I just need to correct in the alignment process?

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Y is my truck so "toe out" now that its dropped? Is that something that I just need to correct in the alignment process?
Because bring it down shortend the travel. Mine did the same thing. have it aligned and you will be good to go...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals