• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Air sensor amongst other things.

McFuzzie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
So I took my '91 Ranger in to the shop to get a diagnostic ran on it because it wasn't starting and wouldn't keep running and bogged when it did. Here's what they said was wrong:

-Fan Clutch
-MAF Sensor
-Fuel Air Sensor
-Alternator
-Power Steering Hoses

Is the "Fuel Air Sensor" the O2 sensor? Because I can't find anything with that specific name. I'm also only going to fix the MAF, "Fuel Air Sensor", and the alternator right now because of money. Finally, what is the fan clutch? Is that what engages/disengages the fan?

Thank you,

Kyle

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well the MAF is the Mass Air Flow sensor, i've never heard of a "fuel air sensor", but then again i'm no mechanic myself. yes the fan clutch controls the speed of the fan off of the temperature. Seems kind of weird that they found bad power steering hoses when diagnosing starting/running issues..? But good luck with everything, i'm sure it'll run great when done.

McFuzzie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
well the MAF is the Mass Air Flow sensor, i've never heard of a "fuel air sensor", but then again i'm no mechanic myself. yes the fan clutch controls the speed of the fan off of the temperature. Seems kind of weird that they found bad power steering hoses when diagnosing starting/running issues..? But good luck with everything, i'm sure it'll run great when done.
Thanks. I know the MAF is the Mass Air Flow sensor. I'm pretty sure it's the 02 sensor because isn't that what O2 sensor does? Measure the ratio of air to fuel?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah, that's what an 02 sensor does, it takes that info and mixes it with info from other sensors and determines how rich or lean your engine is running.

did you get your codes pulled? it's free at most autoparts stores. go to one and then post what the code numbers are. i'd try cleaning most of that stuff before i replaced it. an 02 sensor will run anywhere from $50-$75, a MAF anywhere from $50-$150, so i wouldnt start replacing stuff until the problem goes away.

and just remember, unless you know the shop real well, they can be trying to dick you over. i work at autozone, and once a week someone comes in looking for some nonexistent part that some shop told them they needed. today's was funny, a state inspection shop told a guy they had to do a $10 window tint test, guess someone needed beer money

McFuzzie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
yeah, that's what an 02 sensor does, it takes that info and mixes it with info from other sensors and determines how rich or lean your engine is running.

did you get your codes pulled? it's free at most autoparts stores. go to one and then post what the code numbers are. i'd try cleaning most of that stuff before i replaced it. an 02 sensor will run anywhere from $50-$75, a MAF anywhere from $50-$150, so i wouldnt start replacing stuff until the problem goes away.

and just remember, unless you know the shop real well, they can be trying to dick you over. i work at autozone, and once a week someone comes in looking for some nonexistent part that some shop told them they needed. today's was funny, a state inspection shop told a guy they had to do a $10 window tint test, guess someone needed beer money
A window tint test? lol. Wow.

But anyway, I've tried pulling the codes myself and I didn't get anything except the code saying "pass". Plus, my check engine light isn't on. I've tried cleaning the MAF sensor and it helps for like 5 minutes then the bogging continues. I've tried to let it idle then unplugged it and it ran better, so I'm pretty sure it's bad. But I can't really double check that because it wont start now.

sholzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you reset your EEC after cleaning your MAF?

McFuzzie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
Update: Just replaced the MAF sensor. Starts for a second then dies. So still not fixed.

sholzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update: Just replaced the MAF sensor. Starts for a second then dies. So still not fixed.
Are you getting fuel and spark at the cylinders?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
is there a hole or loose hose in the intake system?

McFuzzie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to double check spark tomorrow.

The intake system looks good. No holes or broken pieces as far as I can see.

McFuzzie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
So I finally got around to check the spark, and I'm getting spark.

Would an O2 sensor stop an engine from starting even though I don't have a "check engine" light?

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
No...the vehicle can run without o2 sensors, as it does before it reaches normal operating temp.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals