• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4 ball joints?

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
im now buying a 1997 ranger 4x4 extended cab. it just inspected and needs a bit of work but the price is right. front bumper signal lights CEL/airbag light on.
steering wheel loose read brake drums/shoes front brake pads front wheel bearing and 4 ball joints.

now here is where im confused the sheet just says 4 ball joints how many ball joints are on this ranger? and from what i understand the upper ball joints cant be replaced the whole upper control arm needs to be replaced? is that correct for 4wd models also? 97 ranger 4x4 extended cab 3.0L v6 5 speed.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
2 upper and two lower on my 2wd. My 4wd had 4 as well as I remember. Use only the Moog type with the Zerk fittings. They last longer and they can be greased with the fittings.

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
what is a moog type?

and can i just replace the upper ball joint or does the control arm need to be replaced?

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
define control arm? 97s still had the TTB..

Stxrangerbumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009 / 1993
Make / Model
B2300 / f250HD
Engine Size
v6 3.0L/ 7.3L
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
define control arm? 97s still had the TTB..

yeah i dont know much about the "modern" ranger. just whatever i get from the search engine since its still sitting in the yard till i pay it all.

but basically its the same suspension as my 1st gen b2? if so that makes it alot easier iv done all this before.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
yeah i dont know much about the "modern" ranger. just whatever i get from the search engine since its still sitting in the yard till i pay it all.

but basically its the same suspension as my 1st gen b2? if so that makes it alot easier iv done all this before.
Yes, very similar to your 1st gen. Moog is a brand and they are about the best ones out there, but expensive.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I started insisting on the ones you can grease...but I've never actually greased them...had them installed about four years ago and haven't been driving the truck...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Moog is a brand and they are about the best ones out there, but expensive.
Moog can't be that expensive. My boss will buy them for used cars and he is a cheap-skate.

But yes, Moog is a VERY good brand. All the NASCAR boys use them, and those cars take some abuse.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Moog is a brand and they are about the best ones out there, but expensive.
But yes, Moog is a VERY good brand. All the NASCAR boys use them, and those cars take some abuse.
My Moog joints became loose (both of the lowers) after barely one year (hardly even 5000 miles).

Spicer on the other hand (now sold as Raybestos), they are still going strong after 8 years (I always buy the ones labeled "Professional Grade", which are hardly any more $$$ than the Moog).
Doubt I'll ever be buying another Moog balljoint again (plus, their grease boots split apart after 6 months). It seems whatever racers buy is not the same stuff sold to the public.

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
also im in canada those professional ones are expensive. about 22$ for the standard ball joint and the professional ones cost 100$ and im told that is for each one.

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
1997 rangers 4x4s use the ttb suspension. There are 4 ball joints, there is not a control arm. If you have socket wrenches, a big phuckin hammer and a vice you can replace them yourself then get it aligned.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Moog can't be that expensive. My boss will buy them for used cars and he is a cheap-skate.

I used Raybestos service grade... here are the price differences for my application (76 Bronco)

Raybestos lowers $10
Moog lowers $42

Raybestos uppers $12
Moog uppers $47

My Moog joints became loose (both of the lowers) after barely one year (hardly even 5000 miles).

Spicer on the other hand (now sold as Raybestos), they are still going strong after 8 years (I always buy the ones labeled "Professional Grade", which are hardly any more $$$ than the Moog).
Doubt I'll ever be buying another Moog balljoint again (plus, their grease boots split apart after 6 months). It seems whatever racers buy is not the same stuff sold to the public.
Interesting...that sucks! I have personally only used the Raybestos service grade ones...they are ultra cheap. I did a few joints for a buddy who bought all Moog - they looked like they were really high quality and I don't think he's had a problem yet. They are lifetime warranty too.

Last edited:

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic

+2 thats all i run on all my dirt track cars as well a very good ball joint

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals