• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sucked Water and fired stuff HELP

tailgate_mafia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so we had flash flooding in missouri today and well there was water going across the road so i went through it. She stalled out and died, so sitting there in 2 feet of water i got out and popped the hood and had my wife try to start it it just clicked and smoked from the positive term. So at that time i noticed water dripping from intake tube where it goes into the throttle body so i call my brother to come pull me home. i have ot messed with it anymore today cuz of pooring rain but the battery it totally dead what should i do it was not muddy water and i dont know if its hydrolocked and if it is what do i do?

It's a 94 ranger stx 4.0 5sp

Please some one help me

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Possibly hydro locked. Is the air filter wet? If it is, you definitely sucked in water... it sounds like you did. Drain the oil, remove all the spark plugs, and crank the motor over once, it will force out all the water in the cylinders. Refill with oil, put the plugs back in, and run her.

Try charging/jumping your battery, if that doesn't work, put a new battery in. Be on the look out for other things messed up.

That's all I got right now.

*edit: wait, pry need to crank the engine over without the plugs in then drain the oil... I forgot the order... It would pry be smarter to have some oil in there when you crank it over...

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Yea the filter shoud have kept any debris from getting in the cylinders and if your axels were submerged I would change the gear oil in them and the tranny/transfer just for s$#ts and giggles if they were warm they possibly sucked water in as they cooled down. Just think of it as preventative maintenance better be safe than sorry. I would pull the plug on the engine and drain any water of the bottom before before you pull the plugs then crank on it to push any water out the cylinders. the sooner you get it going the better and then again change the oil in the engine after you get it hot if you have any doubt that you got all the water out.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yea just pull the plugs, crank it over a few times, put plugs back in, change oil and filter and go. If your batt. teminals were smoking clean and tighten your connections. Also check to make sure your air filter box and piping is not holding water I am sure you know better than to try and start it hoping the water is out, its not worth bending your rods by taking a chance. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Thats why you should never drive throught water of unknown depth and if you have to be careful about it. Thats one thing people never think of, their engine sucking in water.

Better hope that the engine isnt completely screwed.

If you pull the plus and try to cranks it over and she doesnt, your looking at a new engine.

tailgate_mafia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok i pulled the plugs and drained the oil and put fresh plugs and oil in but all it dose is click at the starter. Could i have gotten water in the starter causing it not to crank. Also yes the filter was soaked and water was dripping out of the intake tube. I tried to put a new batt in it but all it dose is click like the starter is trying to engage but wont

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
the engine is probably severely damaged, you said you changed the plugs but did you try to crank the engine with the plugs removed?

try to turn the crankshaft by hand in a clockwise direction (with a socket and breaker bar on the crank)

if it turns then you might be lucky and just have a starter problem, but the fact that water was running out of the intake means you might have bent/broken rods

tailgate_mafia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Water was dripping from where the intake tube connects to the throttle body. I tried to turn it over with the plugs out but now luck starter just clicks. Also i drained the oil there was about 1/2 quart of water in the oil pan. I'll try to turn it over by hand tomorrow kinda dark and rainy

1994Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
starter soilnod or mater starter just locked up .. try 2 jump the solinod.

Do0meR

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Im going through the exact samr thing right now... Was crossing a river friday night, one I've crossed time and time again, and my truck died in the middle. Water up to the bumper. Water must have come up the exhaust and into the motor. Air filter was soaked, drained my oil, tons of water, exhaust full of water. I tried cranking it over with the spark plygs out by hand and a no go. Engine is completely siezed. Hoping I didn't damage my crank shaft.
This being said, I was going to use this opportunity to drop in a v8, but I cant afforf the 10 grand to do the job right, so Im just rebuilding the 4.0L at home. With me rebuilding this, Im thinking on putting in some "better" engine parts, performance wise. Any suggestions?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not me!

Im going through the exact samr thing right now... Was crossing a river friday night, one I've crossed time and time again, and my truck died in the middle. Water up to the bumper. Water must have come up the exhaust and into the motor. Air filter was soaked, drained my oil, tons of water, exhaust full of water. I tried cranking it over with the spark plygs out by hand and a no go. Engine is completely siezed. Hoping I didn't damage my crank shaft.
This being said, I was going to use this opportunity to drop in a v8, but I cant afforf the 10 grand to do the job right, so Im just rebuilding the 4.0L at home. With me rebuilding this, Im thinking on putting in some "better" engine parts, performance wise. Any suggestions?
If the engine is seized..throw it away! It'll take too much money testing everything inside the engine to find and repair bent rods/crank are almost anything in there.. I'd be for a junk yard engine myself.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals