• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Estimate for Head gasket

FunkBlastin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 6 Cyl
Transmission
Automatic
Hi! I was wondering if anyone near Gwinnett County Georgia could give me a quick estimate for replacing a both head gaskets and replacing a cracked head on my '91 3.0 V6 Ranger XLT.

I had a shop flush the radiator last week, which through a chain of events led to my truck overheating and possibly cracking one of the heads.

So far the estimate I got from another shop was as much as I paid for the truck in December. :dunno:

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
was it because of something the shop did that caused it to overheat or your own error. You might be able to hold them responsable

FunkBlastin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 6 Cyl
Transmission
Automatic
It's no one's error. Just fixing one thing led to something else breaking, which led to something else breaking.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Head gasket job cost me like $300, but I did it myself and my heads weren't cracked.

I'd guess you will get estimates from 1-3k.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
on my 2.9, i am replacing the head gaskets in my BII myself as well, gaskets cost $70, $25 for an engine hoist rental and $40 for a 750 lb. engine stand. add to that $20 for new valve cover gaskets and $7 for a tube of high heat silicon. i dont need to replace a head though. you could do it yourself in a saturday and maybe half a sunday.

when i was in high school, i had a shop replace the head gaskets and it was around $1500 if i remember correctly.

danger_ranger_club

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
on my 2.9, i am replacing the head gaskets in my BII myself as well, gaskets cost $70, $25 for an engine hoist rental and $40 for a 750 lb. engine stand. add to that $20 for new valve cover gaskets and $7 for a tube of high heat silicon. i dont need to replace a head though. you could do it yourself in a saturday and maybe half a sunday.

when i was in high school, i had a shop replace the head gaskets and it was around $1500 if i remember correctly.

pulling the motor isnt necassary.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
^
no, not for him, i was just telling him the total cost for me doing it myself to give him something to compare to. i had to pull mine to replace the oil pan gasket as well

jmeineck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I replace the water pump, timing chain, and headgaskets on my 2002 Ranger which had a 3.0L and it cost me about $500 and a day and 1/2 of my time. I bought the part from Autoparts Warehouse. com.

If you cannot do it yourself then you are going to have to pay for the shop labor which is $95/hr minimum and it take 10hrs + to replace the head gaskets. So at minimum you are going to pay $950 in labor plus parts. $1500 plus is about what you should expect a shop to charge you.

danger_ranger_club

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
^
no, not for him, i was just telling him the total cost for me doing it myself to give him something to compare to. i had to pull mine to replace the oil pan gasket as well

thats most likely what im gonna have to do. oil pan and gasket.

ouch 95 bucks an hour! round here its more close to 45

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lobor rates are like cost of living, wage scales and buying a home. They all vary so much. Check around. My good buddies son was a master Volvo tech but now working from his home garage.
Dave

Sirsnags

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a complete head gasket kit for my 93' 4.0L, $115 at O'reillys. Then towed it to a shop where I thought the price was pretty darn good. Got charged $415 to replace the head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, intake gasket, thermostat, and blower motor.

Sorry, had the blower motor already. The heads got sent out and pressure tested as well.

Funny thing is now I've got a fuel issue. I'm tackling that problem now though.

danger_ranger_club

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a complete head gasket kit for my 93' 4.0L, $115 at O'reillys. Then towed it to a shop where I thought the price was pretty darn good. Got charged $415 to replace the head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, intake gasket, thermostat, and blower motor.

Sorry, had the blower motor already. The heads got sent out and pressure tested as well.

Funny thing is now I've got a fuel issue. I'm tackling that problem now though.

thats a damn deal right there. who did you send your heads to and how much did it run ya? do they check for cracks and warpage?

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would got o the junkyard and find you a couple hheads for cheap, take them to a machine shop and have them magnafluxed to make sure theres no cracks. Then do the heads yourself. Its good learning and awy cheaper. For a shop to do head gaskets is gonna be rediculous.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals