• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

why

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
why would you put a chebby in a ford when ford raigns supreme :icon_hornsup:
There's probably a guy out there with a small block Chevy, doing the same stuff, asking himself the same questions; except for why would anyone want a Ford engine?

i was just wondering is all ,i kinda like the chevy ford debate fast is fast but if your gona do a sbc why not go with an s10
Because Rangers are cooler. :D

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
gee...kinda like why would Mr. Ford put a Mitubishi/or whatever/etc. engine in a brand new Ford vehicle on the assembly line....life DOES get confusing.

I'm going with the "Rangers are cooler" quote......and "the meds made me put the sbc in it!"

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
gee...kinda like why would Mr. Ford put a Mitubishi/or whatever/etc. engine in a brand new Ford vehicle on the assembly line....life DOES get confusing.[/I]
To muddy the waters even more they put Mazda stickers on some Rangers and call them a Mazda.

To make the muddy water really goopy the infamous Ford Mustang is built in a Mazda plant amongst Mazda 6's. Watching them come down the line you can see two V6 Mustangs, a GT, a GT-500, a Mazda 6, 5 more V-6 Mustangs, another Mazda 6... all in apperently random order.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
To muddy the waters even more they put Mazda stickers on some Rangers and call them a Mazda.

To make the muddy water really goopy the infamous Ford Mustang is built in a Mazda plant amongst Mazda 6's. Watching them come down the line you can see two V6 Mustangs, a GT, a GT-500, a Mazda 6, 5 more V-6 Mustangs, another Mazda 6... all in apperently random order.

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!

well.....so much for trying to keep the lineage perfect.......but I still appreciate the enthusiasm of the die-hard Ford believers....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!

well.....so much for trying to keep the lineage perfect.......but I still appreciate the enthusiasm of the die-hard Ford believers....
And at the time most of this was set up, Ford owned a controlling interest in Mazda... so really it is only as big of a deal as you want to make of it.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block

I would consider that a Mazda being built in a Ford plant.

The apparently random order could take a couple things into consideration:

The cars are probably built to customer (dealer) order and so they get assembled in a first come first serve order.

The work content for each model is different so to balance the work load between assemblers you have a mixed model schedule. E.g. it may take extra work to assemble a GT500 with all the options and it would probably suck to build a bunch of them at a time for one particular assembly station, thereby slowing down the whole assembly line and crippling total production volume.

The mixed schedule allows upstream operations to build one subcomponent at a time instead of building a big batch and transferring it to the assembly line. Think engines: the V8 comes from a different subassembly area than the 4 cylinder put in the Mazda6 so if they built a bunch of GT500s the V8 line would be busy for a while while the 4cylinder line would have nothing to do unless they wanted to build stock (bad for lean operations) but eventually they will run out of things to do.

Another consideration is a stock-out situation where they run out of a part to make a particular model. Say the engine for the Mazda6 is made in another state and the weather prevents the truck from delivering on time so the management decides to take those units out of today's schedule and build more of the units they have the correct parts for.

[/THREAD HIGHJACK]

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford built the plant, sold it to Mazda and then bought half of it back as joint venture.

One of the stipulations about the GT-500 was it couldn't take any longer to assemble than a comparable GT.

I am sure there is a rhyme or reason to the way that they do it, but it is weird to see very different cars rolling down the same line. Normally cars that share a line are somewhat related, like the Ranger/Bronco II. Right know they seem to be concentrating on the V-6 Mustangs, a local dealer has one sitting on a lot somewhere up there waiting for the '11's to be officially released, but the GT my brother ordered in February has yet to even have a production date set. They haven't ordered a '11 GT for the dealer yet, so maybe they are only working dealer stock orders first before they do the special orders.

I don't know exactly what they really make in house at the plant. The Shelby 5.4's and GT 4.6's are/were made at the Romeo plant, and the 4.0's are made in the Colone, Germany plant. The 5.0 will be made at the Essex plant (dunno if they have started making them yet??) and the 3.7 is made at the Cleveland plant, so they don't make the Ford engine at the same plant as the car. The transmissions and I would assume axles are also made at an off site.

One of the things about the modern production theory is that the required part has to be showing up just about as the guy needing for it is reaching for it. A storm holding up production or having a years worth of them sitting in a room is not a very productive way of running a factory. It isn't all that likely that minor hiccups in deliveries will effect production if things are set up properly. It is a tricky thing to do, the import guys pretty much mastered it (thanks to an American) and proceeded to use it to kick the Domestic's butt until recently.

I went thru all that crap in college. :icon_thumby:

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
I went thru all that crap in college. :icon_thumby:
Same here.

I also live a similar life every day at work. The weather or unreliable suppliers do affect production schedules unless you plan on carrying inventory far in excess of what is normally necessary. Weather would be considered a minor hiccup and generally shouldn't interupt production but occassionally it does in the case of flooding or major snowstorms.

I was just using the GT500 as an example. You could compare a GT to a Mazda6 or a V6 Mustang to a Mazda6 or any other model. The models are so different they can't have the same assembly content (and time required to perform the task) across all the different models.

We have 2011 Mustangs at our local dealer in all three flavors: V6, GT and GT500. That is, unless they are listing things on their website that they don't actually have on hand.

The plant is likely just a welding (main body structure only), paint and assembly plant. I've never been to that plant before but I would imagine that's how it is set up, all the subassemblies and components coming from other Ford plants or suppliers.

I didn't realize Ford sold the plant to Mazda and repurchased half of it, thanks for the lesson.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My head hurts now just trying to fathom all that BS. Which is why I drive trucks for a living.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
My head hurts now just trying to fathom all that BS. Which is why I drive trucks for a living.
Haha. Sorry for the thread jack. Back to Chevy V8s in Fords.

I wouldn't do it.

And kids, don't try this at home.:icon_twisted:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This Cheby motor into a Ford has been going on longer than most of us have lived. I sure don't get bent out of shape about it, alway have loved the 327. If you have several Ford projects going, it's just so much easier with how everything interchanges between the years.
Dave

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Same here.

I also live a similar life every day at work. The weather or unreliable suppliers do affect production schedules unless you plan on carrying inventory far in excess of what is normally necessary. Weather would be considered a minor hiccup and generally shouldn't interupt production but occassionally it does in the case of flooding or major snowstorms.

I was just using the GT500 as an example. You could compare a GT to a Mazda6 or a V6 Mustang to a Mazda6 or any other model. The models are so different they can't have the same assembly content (and time required to perform the task) across all the different models.

We have 2011 Mustangs at our local dealer in all three flavors: V6, GT and GT500. That is, unless they are listing things on their website that they don't actually have on hand.

The plant is likely just a welding (main body structure only), paint and assembly plant. I've never been to that plant before but I would imagine that's how it is set up, all the subassemblies and components coming from other Ford plants or suppliers.

I didn't realize Ford sold the plant to Mazda and repurchased half of it, thanks for the lesson.
I checked a huge Ford dealership in Omaha, they have one 2011 Mustang listed (a GT-500) with a picture coming soon, the other 26 new Mustangs are 2010's. Personally I think they released the stats on '11's too soon and are finding hard to move out the '10's.

https://www.woodhouse.com/results.htm?Make=Ford&New-Used=New&Model=Mustang&x=23&y=7

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's all about taste, budget, and what you've got to work with

yeah I put a 350 in mine. I'm not brand loyal. I just hate Mitsubishi

I work with what I got. That's how most are

FYI, s10's suck really REALLY bad

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I think the second gen S10's are great lookin trucks. They'd be even better with a FORD 327 under the hood though.

droptopfox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's all about taste, budget, and what you've got to work with

yeah I put a 350 in mine. I'm not brand loyal. I just hate Mitsubishi

I work with what I got. That's how most are

FYI, s10's suck really REALLY bad
you wont drive there trucks but youll use there mill makes no sense to me but im as brand loyal as it gets i used to have yota and chebys once and awhile but i learned my lesson quick my 95 f150 302 sold me to the blue oval camp 256k miles ran mint would boil the tires all day i up graded to a 2008 f150 and im happy so far and ive had 8 mustangs all of them took more of a beating than i could believe i cant believe how tough windsor based motors are nitrous all day ive only blown up one and i was doing nitrous burnouts with it :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals