• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

d44 vs d30?

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
First of all, the idea of a .030" in difference in pinion shaft diameter between the HP D35 and HP D30 having less deflection is simply rediculous, especially when you have a big pinion bearing that transfers the load before it even gets to that point.

Second, if your an idiot, and are blowing out HP ring and pinions, over shafts, you dont know how to drive.

Third, the D35 TTB has one more joint than a D30 solid, making it have one more weak link in the setup.

Forth, saying that the D35 -aluminum- housing, that is bolted to a sheet metal TTB arm is stronger than the fairly thick cast steel D30 housing is rediculous.

And finally, I have seen more blown out LP D44's than I have seen blown out HP D30s, the strength between the two axles is negligable, with the benefit being the bigger shafts and hubs, low pinion front axles suck and shouldnt even be considered for an offroad application.

You keep pressing this Lie, but the truth doesnt change. The D30 is every bit as stout as the D35 TTB.

I would like to see all these broken LP44 gearsets.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So you're saying if you could somehow put D60 shafts into a D28 carrier, that you're an idiot if you break the gears even though the D28 is HP?
That's certainly what it sounds like since you say the idea of bigger gears being stronger is "rediculous"... :rolleyes:

Oh and I'm still waiting to see all these broken aluminum diff housings :thefinger:

The only lie here is the one based purely on speculation and opinion, not on hard facts.
No I wasnt implying what you said, your just turning my words around. What I am saying, is the shafts and u-joints on both the D35 and D30 are the weak link... If your blowing out ring gears, your driving wrong, or just flat out have too short of a ratio.

And I can personally Vouch for seeing a blown out aluminum housing, I bought an 86 ranger that came with a D35 housing in two pieces. I have never seen a D30 housing blown out like that.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would like to see all these broken LP44 gearsets.
Ill dig around in my pictures, I know I have at least one of a blown out gearset, and another chevy front end that I bought for parts had a blown out one as well...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Seems you missed what I said earlier in this thread:
I said the strength margin between the shafts and the D30 gears is much narrower than with the D35 gears (I didn't say the D30 gear was weaker than the shafts, although in a case of having alloy shafts, it almost certainly is). With the margin as close as it is on that axle, you're going to have a little overlap at times as to what breaks first (which makes every little 0.01" in size matter).

I've yet to see a stripped HP D35 gearset, all I've ever seen on this axle are broken shafts and an occasional spider gear (and of course stock hubs too) unless an unusual circumstance is involved, such as a liftkit bracket busting it open, or the diff being filled with water. Even on Jeep rear D35s I don't see busted R&P gears very often, again it's usually broken spiders or shafts.
But for every 5 or so broken D30 shafts I've seen, there's a busted gearset among them as well.

And I can personally Vouch for seeing a blown out aluminum housing, I bought an 86 ranger that came with a D35 housing in two pieces. I have never seen a D30 housing blown out like that.
If you can produce a pic specifically of a HP D35 housing that appears ruptured from too much torque, you'll be the very 1st one to do so in almost 10 years of waiting since I've been hanging around these boards (you're only the 2nd one to ever 'claim' to have a broken one too). But I'll be looking at it very close to see that it's not actually been split open by a POS liftkit bracket or from smashing it into a rock without a skidplate (especially since it appears you may not even know the history of it, being you already got it in that condition).

In the meantime I'll try to find some pics of bent or broken D30 housings, which I've seen floating around more a few times (often from jumping the thing, which pretty much everyone knows the TTB axles take this in stride).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals