• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trying to add ac to a no AC truck

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a 2000 2.5L with no AC and summer is coming up so I want to get it in without paying rediculous cash for someone else to do it I'd rather do it myself but I dont know anything about it and I'm betting theres another forum about this but I couldnt find it so any help with the topic or point me in the direction of a forum about it would be great. thanks guys

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I put air in mine but I had it all apart already plus a donor vehicle.It entails quite a bit by the time you put in the condenser and change the whole heat and air unit.The first thing you need to do is acquire all the stuff make sure its compatible and change it.This link helped me to understand how it works.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/June04/tech.htm

TomJenks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 2000 2.5L with no AC and summer is coming up so I want to get it in without paying rediculous cash for someone else to do it I'd rather do it myself but I dont know anything about it and I'm betting theres another forum about this but I couldnt find it so any help with the topic or point me in the direction of a forum about it would be great. thanks guys
The best advice I could give you would be to just sell the truck and go buy one with a/c. I'm almost certain it would be more economical. Like the last poster said, unless you have a near identical donor vehicle to pull good parts off of, you're gonna spend big $$$. A short list of things you would need:

Compressor- $150-400 new, depending on if you buy oe or aftermarket
Condenser-$125-200 new
Evaporator and housing $100-400 new(unless you could find a good assembly used, you would most likely have to go to Ford for the evaporator housing)
Accumulator-$50-75 new
Control unit for the dash- $200?(have no idea what these cost new, but they would most likely be a "dealer only" item unless you found one at a junk yard)
A/C lines- $150-200
Various brackets and electrical components/wiring harnesses$200-250?
wiring schematics for both models of trucks (w/ AC and w/o AC)
*Radiator- $100-200 (not sure if there is a difference in the radiator or not- the radiator for an AC equipped truck would be bigger)

If your a novice, I would say you'll have 20-25 hrs of time in this project. Most likely more.

If it were me attempting the conversion, I would budget at least 1k for the project.

I'm sure there are some things I left out or things that wouldn't be nessasary, but this should give you a good starting point on things to consider.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the help and the welcome haha but yeah my plan is going to a junkyard when the weather is better and take everything that is connected to the trucks ac hope it works then fix whats broken. thank you for the advice

Daedalus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You'd be better off pitting a house window air conditioner in the rear window and bolting a gas generator to the bed....

_BEYONDER_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just to add to the list (sorry if I duplicate anything but I'll incl part numbers to )

1. A/C Cycling Switch ( Part 19E561 )
2. A/C Charge Port Valve [Low Side] (Part 19D701)
3. Pressure Cut Off Switch ( Part 19D594 )
4. A/C Pressure Relief Valve ( Part 19D644 )
5. Compressor Manifold And Tube Assembly ( Part 19D734 )
6. A/C Compressor ( Part 19703 )
7. A/C Charge Port Valve [High Side] ( Part 19D701 )
8. Condensor Core ( Part 19712 )
9. Condensor To Evaporator Line ( Part 19835 )
10.Suction Accumulator ( Part 19C836 )
11.Evaporator Core ( Part 19860 )

These are whats listed for a 2003 Ranger; Hope this helps.

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the input guys.

so today I picked up the entire AC unit out of a similar truck for 100 bucks minus the condenser which I'm buying tomorrow so hopefully I'll have working AC tomorrow!

I plan on documenting everything so someone else can do it to, that is if it works

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hit a wall with the AC. I got everything just missing a few bolts and the wires I need. I found out theres a plug on the compressor itself and on that black tube thing, not sure what it's called, but all rangers have the wiring for eveything so I'm just stuck wondering if I have those plugs I need but they're just tucked away or if the wire is just cut back so if anyone can help me out please I need it!

I need to know two things: 1) If the wires I need to plug into the compressor and the black thing are there and if so where are they. 2) There is a bracket half way on the tube running from that metal black cylinder to the far side of the condenser and it seems like that bracket is bolted to the engine to keep the tube away from the fan and the belts but I would just want to know for sure.

If anyone who has a 2.5L with AC could take a picture just of the AC parts and how everything goes together and sits there that would be very helpful for me and I would greatly appreciate it thanks guys!

TomJenks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hit a wall with the AC. I got everything just missing a few bolts and the wires I need. I found out theres a plug on the compressor itself and on that black tube thing, not sure what it's called, but all rangers have the wiring for eveything so I'm just stuck wondering if I have those plugs I need but they're just tucked away or if the wire is just cut back so if anyone can help me out please I need it!

I need to know two things: 1) If the wires I need to plug into the compressor and the black thing are there and if so where are they. 2) There is a bracket half way on the tube running from that metal black cylinder to the far side of the condenser and it seems like that bracket is bolted to the engine to keep the tube away from the fan and the belts but I would just want to know for sure.

If anyone who has a 2.5L with AC could take a picture just of the AC parts and how everything goes together and sits there that would be very helpful for me and I would greatly appreciate it thanks guys!
Unless you have a good understanding of 12v electrical systems,you'll have to go back and get the wiring harness and ecm from the donor truck and swap it out with yours.
Did you get the wiring diagrams for both trucks?

TomJenks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I assume you're talking about the accumulator, the thing that sets up by the firewall close to the heater housing. Btw, it is somewhat of a wear item(theres something inside them that wears out). You'll want to replace it with a new one if you're tryin to do it right. You'll also want to replace the orafice tube.

On a sidenote: Do you have the equipment to check for leaks and refill the system(things such as a manifold gauge set, vaccuum pump, leaker finder)? 0. If not, you'll either need to buy them(not cheap btw), borrow them, or take it to a shop to have them do it for you. If you have a leak or two in the system(most likely you will), you'll burn up alot of cash having a shop chase those down for you. Just something else to think about.

_BEYONDER_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Snal, did you get it figured out?

- The charge kit runs around 50.00 at walmart, the guages are around 60ish i believe and a vaccuum pump, handheld one is around 20.00 ( all at walmart ). You can goto your local hardware store and get a leak detection kit for doing gas work ( most just use soapy water ) either will work the gas leak detection kit is a neon color, etc I believe it runs around 40.00 [ all canadian pricing, so probably cheaper if your down south ]

TomJenks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey Snal, did you get it figured out?

- The charge kit runs around 50.00 at walmart, the guages are around 60ish i believe and a vaccuum pump, handheld one is around 20.00 ( all at walmart ). You can goto your local hardware store and get a leak detection kit for doing gas work ( most just use soapy water ) either will work the gas leak detection kit is a neon color, etc I believe it runs around 40.00 [ all canadian pricing, so probably cheaper if your down south ]
:icon_confused:

There are 2 types of pumps to use for a/c work

Venturi- cheap, but unless you have a good air compressor(4-5CFM @90psi or better) probably wont do a great job at pulling a deep vacuum. Also very loud. It will also have to be able to run non-stop for about an hour.

Electric - more expensive, but yield the best results. No need for a separate compressor.

The best idea on that would be to go to an auto parts store that has a loaner program and using theirs. Some loan them out for free, i think.

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I havent gotten any further yet with it. Got to save money for my girlfriends prom haha so I'm haulted. I have to get the wires from a donor truck and then get a new drier an seals. What exactly is the orafice tube? then once everything is settled I hope to fill it and have AC :D

TomJenks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I havent gotten any further yet with it. Got to save money for my girlfriends prom haha so I'm haulted. I have to get the wires from a donor truck and then get a new drier an seals. What exactly is the orafice tube? then once everything is settled I hope to fill it and have AC :D
Sets in between the high pressure line from the compressor and the condenser

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Sets in between the high pressure line from the compressor and the condenser
No, the orifice tube is in the line that goes from the condenser to the evaporator.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals