• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

electrical gremlin

wildbill8135

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I recently decided to rewire my speakers because no set of speakers i put in the ranger were working properly. The original setup was custom and had all left side speakers wired together and all right side speakers together. I split them up and now i have no radio and no windshield wipers. It is most likely a loose ground. what would be the best way to trace a loose ground?:damnit1:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I recently decided to rewire my speakers because no set of speakers i put in the ranger were working properly. The original setup was custom and had all left side speakers wired together and all right side speakers together. I split them up and now i have no radio and no windshield wipers. It is most likely a loose ground. what would be the best way to trace a loose ground?:damnit1:
Are the wipers and radio on the same fuse it depends on the radio if none of the speaker wires are shorted the sterio should have a wiring diagram find the ground wire and ground it to the chassis or any good metal some have multiple grounds assure your getting power not alot there as far as wiring did you get the polarity right on the speakers is real important also. Is your antenna hooked up

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Check to make sure you didn't pop a fuse in the process. I've been caught by that a couple times now when I've done stereo work. Get it all together and sure it's right but nothing works... panic sets in for a brief moment and then you remember to check fuses.

When I've wired up stereos in my trucks, I've often run a ground straight back to the battery for the radio and for any amps. Overkill? Perhaps. But I've had ground problems before and take no chances anymore. Fried a $500 amp once because I had it grounded to the body and a bodyshop fixing another part of the truck removed the wire (why, I'm still not sure, there was no reason) and attached it somewhere else. With a wire straight back to the battery, it leaves little to chance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals