• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

To all you Ford techs...

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
So my wife and I just bought a 2005 Lincoln LS. It's just approaching 60,000 miles so I figured it's just time for a tranny flush and filter change. It has the 5R55S transmission. Usually I would just do this myself, but after looking at the procedure in the Ford service manual (I got one from a dealership that closed), I see that I need several special tools to monitor the fluid temperature and level, and that it has no tranny dipstick.

So I'm thinking this may be a better one for the dealership to do than me, given my lack of special tools. I can get a genuine motorcraft filter for about $20. What I am wondering is how much a dealer is going to charge to perform this service. I'm sure some of you guys do this on a daily basis so I figured maybe you could help me out :icon_thumby:

I guess I could just call and get a quote but none are open on Sunday and curiosity is killing me.

Mr99Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could always take it to a local tranny shop. Probably cheaper and they might even let you watch.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
My son and daughter took their vehicles into our local transmission shop for fluid and filter changes last November. They had eight o clock appointments so they dropped them off and went for breakfast at a reataurant round the corner. They returned at 9:30 to find both vehicles ready, for a total cost of 150 Canadian. It would have cost me around the same price for the filters and fluids.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just wondering what Ford dealer went out down there? I know of a master tech (Volvo) from Fran Kraul (SP) who's out of work that might point you in the right direction.
Dave

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Here is what you would get charged as a 'package price' for getting the 100,000km (60,000mi) maint #3 and 4 from a dealership...keep in mind this is CAD pricing, and you will be charged more if not getting the trans service done as part of the package service.

I would expect to pay in the area of $150-$170

Attachments

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Just wondering what Ford dealer went out down there? I know of a master tech (Volvo) from Fran Kraul (SP) who's out of work that might point you in the right direction.
Dave
Well I can't say because it's not official yet. My buddy's relatives owned it and they are downsizing (not closing) so my buddy got to get all the manuals he wanted. He let me have the ones I wanted.

Fran Kral, eh? We just about bought an LS from them. They had a super good price on it but it had the V8, we wanted the 6 so we had to pass.

Last edited:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Here is what you would get charged as a 'package price' for getting the 100,000km (60,000mi) maint #3 and 4 from a dealership...keep in mind this is CAD pricing, and you will be charged more if not getting the trans service done as part of the package service.

I would expect to pay in the area of $150-$170
That's about what I expected. I'll call a trans shop but I'm just wondering if the dipstick-less transmissions have been around long enough that the aftermarket places are good and competent at doing this type of service yet...

Our LS is in pretty much showroom condition still and I'd like to keep it that way. Usually I do all my own maintenance, but a lot of expensive damage to the transmission could result if I don't get the right amount of fluid in it due to not having the right tool.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
That's about what I expected. I'll call a trans shop but I'm just wondering if the dipstick-less transmissions have been around long enough that the aftermarket places are good and competent at doing this type of service yet...
GM has been using dipstick-less transmissions since the late 90s. Any good trans shop should know how to work on them no problem.

Mr99Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just find a good local trans. shop you think will do good work, then read if they have any reviews online. If good reviews are prevalent, take your car there. If there is no online info. on them, Just ask them about their process for changing fluid and see if they'll let you see them change it on a car they have in the shop. Just remember you are considering spending your money at their establishment, so they should be more than happy to do whatever it takes to get your business.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals