• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 STX, High rider?

motopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 89 STX, I'm pretty sure it's a high rider. It definatly stock, and sits higher than most rangers do. It's got 3" blocks in the rear, and looks to have the drop brkts in the front. I fit 31" tires no problem. From what I've read Ford stopped putting the high rider kit in, in 88. Could mine sill be a high rider? Are canadian models different?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
maybe its an early 89
thats why it has the high rider pack still

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
sure sounds high-rider. Maybe a PO grabbed the 88 parts and put them on.

motopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeh, it's a 02/89 bulid date. So maybe it's a carry over

countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
got pics of the radius arm brackets

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Ford may not have called it the high rider package in '89, they might have called it the sport rider package. What ever they called it in '89, I had one with the same lift. If you want to be sure that its factory, look at the radius arm drop brackets. If they're riveted to the frame then they're stock, if they're bolted then they may not be stock.

footee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeh, it's a 02/89 bulid date. So maybe it's a carry over
Working at a Ford plant, since 2000, our model change for the F150 has always been right around July of the previous model year, meaning, we have been building 2010 trucks since July or August and will change to 2011 model trucks again this July. My point here is, I don't think a 2/89 is an early build date. I doubt things were any different back then. The idea behind it being, get the new model built, tested and bugs worked out before the year actually comes up. Just my 2 cents.

I had a 92 Ranger that had 3" blocks in the rear too btw. The front brackets were all riveted but the truck did seem to sit higher than most. Could have been the reg cab long bed of it but once I lifted it and put 35s on it, it was definitely taller.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The front brackets were all riveted but the truck did seem to sit higher than most.

Your right, they are all riveted. But if it has DROP BRACKETS between the frame and radius arm brackets, that are riveted to the frame, then it has the factory lift.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 89 STX, I'm pretty sure it's a high rider. It definatly stock, and sits higher than most rangers do. It's got 3" blocks in the rear, and looks to have the drop brkts in the front. I fit 31" tires no problem. From what I've read Ford stopped putting the high rider kit in, in 88. Could mine sill be a high rider? Are canadian models different?
Well, I bought my 99 2wd Ranger Supercab new, July 99 and it sat taller then several other Rangers in the dealers lot. Several of my buddies with 97 and 98Rangers thought I had put a lift on it right after I drove it over to show it off. My buddy Ron bought a new 2000 Splash the next year and he saw mine sitting next to his one day and he wondered why my truck sat much higher then his truck.
Maybe some just sat a bit higher then others? The year Firestone had those recalls on their tires I put on Gooryear A/T tires from Tire Kingdom. I bought a new set of 30x10.5x15 and had plenty of room in the fender well area. Two weeks later a buddy brought over his old Jeep Wrangler wheels and tires from his rock krawler prodject he was starting and we mounted his 31x10.5 setup and they fit pretty good for no lift. That is how I got the idea to put a lift on my truck the next year and went with 33's and then two years later I added the 3" BL.

One good note....Firestone sent me a check for $170.00 after I sent them my receipt for buying new tires at Tire Kingdom. At least I got something back.

Straycat

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
All 4WD 89 STX Rangers had the equivalent of the high rider suspension according to the sales brochure. As mentioned before, it was called Sport Rider. I bought a new very late build 89 STX that had the factory lift and it definitely sat higher than a standard stock 4WD 89 Ranger. It was such a late build that it had some 90 Ranger parts on it. From what I understand, 89 was the last year for the factory lift on a stock Ranger.

I immediately put 31" tires on it and they fit just fine. They would rub very lightly (I think the frame but for sure not the body) when the steering was turned full lock.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals