• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lincoln 5.0

finalgray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ive done alot of reading here and this is my first thread. i really like this site! iam going to swap my 87 Lincoln town car 5.0 (the land yacht) into my 94 ranger 4.0 5 speed. i wanted a 5.0 HO but things fell threw. so iam doing it with the Lincoln as the donor. but anyways, can i get some advice, or ideas and major hangups on this particular build? id really like to hear everyone's opinion.

and you know, can anyone tell me will i need a different oil pan or a relocator on the oil fiter, specific stuff for this:icon_cheers: build.
thanks guys!:icon_welder:

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey welcome to the forum! im midway with my 302 swap, and i guess i might be able to help you with a few things.

first of all, you may already have a better (HO) version of the 5.0 since it was from a fancy lincoln. they tend to get the better ends of things.

you will need a dual sump oil pan to clear the engine crossmember. summit sells a kit from ford racing for $100 that will take care of everything, including the oil pump pickup and dipstick.

you will also need an oil filter relocation kit. make sure you get the kind that has the ports going out perpendicular to the oil filter flange of the engine, or else the lines will run right into the steering box.

if you dont have a body lift, you will probably need to notch your heater box. unless you dont have air conditioning, in that case you might get away with leaving it alone.

as far as the EFI and electrical goes, i cant really help ya. im doing a carbed swap. there's less wires going to my engine than there are cylinders hahaha

if i think of anything else ill add on...

good luck and keep us posted!

you will probably have to move your

Twisted_Steel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 HO
Transmission
Automatic
if you dont have a body lift, you will probably need to notch your heater box.

If you don't want to cut your box, Northern Tool sells a heat gun for about 20 bucks and you can mold it back with a piece of pipe. It makes a clean roll. Just don't get it too hot and melt a hole through it.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If it's a Towncar 5.0. it's not the HO version. The only Lincolns with the HO motor were the Mark VII LSC. The Towncar 5.0 is a roller 5.0 rated at 150 hp.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
The Towncar 5.0 is a roller 5.0 rated at 150 hp.
Yup. My cam has the same exact specs as this one. No launch power whatsoever.

Hotter cams cost money, but trust me, you are going to want a hotter cam.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yup. My cam has the same exact specs as this one. No launch power whatsoever.

Hotter cams cost money, but trust me, you are going to want a hotter cam.
But it won't do much good without better heads. The E6SE's these engines came with are great bottom end performers, but run out of breath on the topend. To the tune of 25 hp less than the E7's. If you swap heads, then you run the risk of piston to valve interference, as these engines also do not have piston valve reliefs. The reason for that is the valves are sunken deeper into the E6 heads than all other SBF heads. They're a full 1/8" deeper.

finalgray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys for the info. iam very disappointed to find out the 5.0 i got is only rated at 150hp. WTF its a 5.0. lol. so is it even going to be worth it? i really want to but thats what i was afraid of. the whole its not a 5.0 HO. will it at least be better then my 4.0 OHV 5 speed? And if i get the motor in there is there any potential for some bolt on ponies? like latter on down the line getting some different heads and intake? and again thanks for the help

finalgray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
oh. and when and if it gets put in. ill go ahead and get headers and open up the intake. got to help alittle right?

so i got a block i can build right?

will it be a good donor or should i find another?

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
Money will buy you as more HP as you want in a 5.0 :icon_thumby:

finalgray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
lol. i knew that. just amking sure i aleast have a block. for the time being will it be cool just to open it up until iam ready for that kinda thing? cause iam not really sure how much power that really is, compared to what iam used to and want you know. iam asking will it be fun for now?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You can swap the cam to an HO roller or try a B303 with it. The 86 HO had the same head & piston combo and was rated at 200 HP. The B cam's lift is only another .035" (with 1.6 rockers) and an extra 10-20 degrees more duration, so shouldn't get you into trouble. That might get you an extra 10-20 HP over the HO cam.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys for the info. iam very disappointed to find out the 5.0 i got is only rated at 150hp. WTF its a 5.0. lol. so is it even going to be worth it? i really want to but thats what i was afraid of. the whole its not a 5.0 HO. will it at least be better then my 4.0 OHV 5 speed? And if i get the motor in there is there any potential for some bolt on ponies? like latter on down the line getting some different heads and intake? and again thanks for the help
It may only have 150hp, but it will put out more torque than anything Ford has put in a Ranger... which will still make it feel pretty spunky. All depends on what you want.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused: Spunky ? :D The 88 Crown Vic 5.0 I did when I started my swap left me wanting more. 16-17 second 1/4 mile with a C-4 and 3.45's. :dunno:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused: Spunky ? :D The 88 Crown Vic 5.0 I did when I started my swap left me wanting more. 16-17 second 1/4 mile with a C-4 and 3.45's. :dunno:
Roughly the same hp numbers with more torque as a OHV 4.0 at a lower RPM. For a wheeler or dd stock would be fine. If you want a race machine then you will be wanting more.

I think you have more power now than just about any 302 did originally, like I said before it depends on what you want to do with it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals