• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rust removal

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
I am repainting my truck from the ground up in the spring. I need to get the rust off of my frame and under body. I was planning on just using a wire wheel to clean it all off, but recently i came across a rust removing gel called Ew Gel Rust Dissolver.( http://www.eastwood.com/ew-gel-rust-dissolver-gallon.html ) has any body ever used this product? If so what were your results? Thanks in advance for the info.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ive tried another rust remover that was like that and it did alright if you let it sit. the problem though that even though it was a gel it didnt stick good and it only removed light surface rust.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
i would think even if it removes the rust, it wont give you the smooth finish that you would want if you are painting it, so you would have to sand anyway, so save the money and just sand it down

flamingx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
The best thing to do is Sandblast, but if that's not in your buget grind and wire wheel what you can then use that stuff only where you can't get with the grinder. Finish it all off with a product called Por-15, that stuff is tough as nails and it will never rust again (that sh!t is amazing)

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
the gel remover says to wire wheel off the scale rust and it will get rid of the other rust. i dont really care if the frame looks pitted up. i think im going to put rust bullet on it, it supposed to be better than por-15.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
chassis saver is better than por-15 IMO

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
chassis saver is better than por-15 IMO
i just checked this stuff out online. its cheaper than what i was looking at and it seems like it has been tested and proven more than por-15 or rust bullet. i can get this stuff more readily near my house too.

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
POR-15 is okay, but it will shrink over time. Sandblast and Rustoleum gloss or satin black.

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
i have had nothing but bad luck with rustoleum. i used red rustoleum on a plow at the beginning of last winter and the whole plow was rusting through the paint by the end of winter, even the back side that the snow didnt touch while plowing.

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
Weird. I've never had a problem with Rustoleum, ever. Painted my brother's S-10 with it (bought used from a guy who bought it used from the USN), painted motorcycle parts, I even painted the calipers on my race car with it, and it has survived 12 years.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just checked this stuff out online. its cheaper than what i was looking at and it seems like it has been tested and proven more than por-15 or rust bullet. i can get this stuff more readily near my house too.
yea thats what i have been seeing too. when i redo my truck the frame and all under side is getting this plus the bottom of my cab and bed and common places where rust starts on our trucks.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i used a light to moderate coat of rustoleum on the damage that my drop in bed liner made, and that was this fall, and it's already turning a light brown again....

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
Weird. I've never had a problem with Rustoleum, ever. Painted my brother's S-10 with it (bought used from a guy who bought it used from the USN), painted motorcycle parts, I even painted the calipers on my race car with it, and it has survived 12 years.
probably just our amazing michigan weather

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what are you guys comparing rustoleum to a paint that is designed to stop rust and seal the metal. Rustoleum isnt designed to do any of that its just a spray paint. you guys are trying to compare apples to a chunk of meat.

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
what are you guys comparing rustoleum to a paint that is designed to stop rust and seal the metal. Rustoleum isnt designed to do any of that its just a spray paint. you guys are trying to compare apples to a chunk of meat.
i dont know how those two things ended up being compared. i just know for sure that i need to get something that can outlast the mchigan weather. as you said on your truck, my frame and under bed/cab is rusted. I'm leaning way towards chassis saver for when i do my truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals