• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 swap

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
so im sick of my 2.5l now time to step up to a v8. so i have 96 ford ranger 2wd . what would be the easyed swap. i want efi i here that the mid 90s explorer would be good i want to do a small build maybe a cam but i want something that will be reliable. also i want to do a 9'' rearend with disc brakes but i dont know what year the explorers have them. so any info will help thanks.:icon_hornsup:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
thats pretty much it.

get a fox pan, remote oil cooler and a decent sploder doner. if you want to keep ac it may be best to mod a remote van setup to blow cold air. mod the core support rails and use a 19x 25 two row summit rad and a taurus fan.

easy is eec4 maf electronics but best is to keep the sploder stuff and tune it...run the 1/4 horse or tweecer rt to make it what you want.

you can shitcan the pats and turn off the rear o2's ect..lots of diy options these days

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
so im sick of my 2.5l now time to step up to a v8. so i have 96 ford ranger 2wd . what would be the easyed swap. i want efi i here that the mid 90s explorer would be good i want to do a small build maybe a cam but i want something that will be reliable. also i want to do a 9'' rearend with disc brakes but i dont know what year the explorers have them. so any info will help thanks.:icon_hornsup:
The Ex is a fairly easy fit. You want to use Mustang motor maounts, any year, '87 to '95. Many prefer the '94/'95 or fox vert mounts (same). Not sure if the Ex oil pan actually fits an Ibeam Ranger. I believe some are cast, some are stamped, so you may get lucky there. Otherwise a Ford "dual sump" is the pan you want.

With the Explorer front accessories, you casn keep AC and not touch the rad or move the condensor. No need to mod your heater box,either. I would try the stock rad if it's a mild build. I'm using a stock 4.0 rad, it runs very cold.

You can easily swap those basic parts to run with a Mutang harness and ECU if you want more tuning options.

The Explorers, '96 to '01(?) came with 31 spline 8.8 rearends, some with Traction Lock, but they did have disc brakes.

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
so to run the mustang harness end ecu just swap all then sensors over to the exploder engine? also what year mustang and model? i dont know i think ill stick to the stock harness and ecu for that motor because thats what went wrong with my last swap. a 96 2.3l to a 2000 2.5 with the 96 wiring harness and ecu. anyway i think my stock rad. will not work i think its only a 1 core. also any tips or things to look out for.

Last edited:

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
so more qustions will i have to make a trany mount or will the stock 2.5l trany mounts bolt up. also what about the gauges tack, speedo, ect... im i going to run into a wiring night mare. drive shaft, i swaped an aluminum one out of a newer ranger will this still work.

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual

coryg

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 91
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dont know about your application but i had to make a custom mount for my aod into my 87....

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
will i have to make a trany mount or will the stock 2.5l trany mounts bolt up. also what about the gauges tack, speedo, ect... im i going to run into a wiring night mare. drive shaft, i swaped an aluminum one out of a newer ranger will this still work.

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
. also what about the gauges tack, speedo, ect... im i going to run into a wiring night mare. drive shaft, i swaped an aluminum one out of a newer ranger will this still work.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals