• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No mud flaps on 2007 Rangers?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The Ford rubber mudflaps came on my '94, and it's a 4 cylinder. At the time I bought the truck I thought about taking them off, but never got around to it. I'm glad that I've kept them on, as they don't look that bad, and they sure have kept the sheet metal and paint from getting beat up after all this time.

I'm glad to hear that the cop and the dealership were both decent about it.

Jeepman401

Reaction score
The mudflaps are an option that gets added on at the dealership.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
In Canada (well BC anyway) all of the new rangers come from the factory with the rear flaps, the front flaps are an option that costs something stupid like $200+

oldmantruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wow, Now I feel old if no one remembers CHiP's. as for the mud flaps, I've never seen a ranger with out them, Sounds like your dealer ripped you off. I had a dealer once try to steel my white outlined bigger offroad package tires, Sticker said the truck had them, but when I went to pick it up it was standard black walls from the xl, wouldn't admit anything, but basically stole my tires and stuck me with stock. They fixed it when I fussed, but if I'd have missed it, I'd have been screwed.

ASMODEAN

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 litres of ticking fury
Transmission
Manual
its not illegal in texas lol thats a meesed up law
Hell I've driven a primered 74 Bronco on 38's with no roof, doors, front finders, hood or windshield from where i live in arkansas to a buddy of mines shop in Rockwall and neither states highway patrol ever said anything (i got a few funny looks tho!)

ok this concludes the threadjacking for the day!

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Indiana doesn't bother enforcing laws either. Actually, I don't think there is a mudflap law in Indiana. There is no trailer fender law. I don't think I've ever noticed mudflaps on a Ranger but I'll look from now on.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If the truck was legally sold new in your state without mud flaps then you cannot be given a ticket for not having them. Obviously either the dealer ordered a truck built for another state and forgot to install mud flaps or that cop was giving you a bunch of BS.
This is false. Any police officer, for instance, can ticket you for driving without a front license plate. Until fairly recently, it was very common to get vehicles from the dealership that way. Some even came with no provision for one.

Same thing with rear bumpers. And if your headlight burns out at the factory, you're still responsible.

California has no pre- or post-sale safety inspections. The vehicle can be legally sold to you in unsafe or undriveable condition (though of course the dealer would almost certainly be liable to fix it). It is only required to pay the use fee (sales tax) and registration fee and to obtain an emissions certificate or waiver (new vehicles generally get waivers just because they are new).

And virtually every state requires mud flaps.

Now, very many officers will be quite understanding if the vehicle is new and so on, since despite what the dealership claims, this is not at all a rare occurrence.

It's common in my area for lifted Jeeps with extra wide axles to get nailed. People are just too cheap to buy the $20 flares....

This is, of course, only for street legal vehicles.

Last edited:

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
My 08 FX4 came with rear flaps and no front flaps.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
There is a little burgh here, Kilbuck Twp. which is known for its speed trap, where they will write you a ticket for "license plate obstruction" if you have a bumper ball installed.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There is a little burgh here, Kilbuck Twp. which is known for its speed trap, where they will write you a ticket for "license plate obstruction" if you have a bumper ball installed.
Same deal in the San Jose area. I've been stopped several times for having the trailer ball on in that area. I finally got tired of it and took the trailer ball off. I put it back on to tow a small trailer across town, forgot about it, and got stopped over there again. I got a fix-it ticket for that one.

But for the mud flaps, I'm kind of annoyed that Ford quit putting them on their trucks, but I'm ok with the requirement. I usually have to replace a windshield every other year due to rocks being launched from tires on vehicles in front of me. Our wet season is constantly wet. There is so much spray and splashing water on the freeways here that it makes for poor visibility. Mud flaps reduce both problems.

Last edited:

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
old

i feel old too,i remember a lame show called chips,even been pulled over by a a few chp officers when i lived in the peoples republic of california.in georgia i see very many rbvs out there and many have mud flaps and many don,t,mine doesn,t and i,ve considered putting them on because i like the way they look.around atlanta you have to be wanted or 20,30 over the speed limit to get pulled over anyway.how about a thread on experiences with the highway patrol?i remember officers behind every other billboard in iowa.and wisconsin.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think mudflaps are required in most states. There are 49 states that are not named California; that would be a lot of research to find out which have mudflaps required. I've never heard of anyone getting stopped for no mudflaps in 20+ years of driving. I've only researched Indiana's vehicle equipment laws so I can't speak for any of the other 49 states.

Here's what I found on California's site:
27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or
more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with
fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or
unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate
protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or
mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or
attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread.
This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from
registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of
under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered
prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500
pounds.
If the body of the vehicle covers the tire, you don't need mudflaps.

A good many states don't have a license plate for the front either, as weird and backward as that may seem to people with a plate on the front.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
A good many states don't have a license plate for the front either, as weird and backward as that may seem to people with a plate on the front.

doesn't stop oregon from writing that ticket. I have gotten it 3 times now since moving to Michigan. I hate Oregon, if I didn't friends and family there I would never go there.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don't think mudflaps are required in most states. There are 49 states that are not named California; that would be a lot of research to find out which have mudflaps required. I've never heard of anyone getting stopped for no mudflaps in 20+ years of driving. I've only researched Indiana's vehicle equipment laws so I can't speak for any of the other 49 states.

I posted a link that has a partial list of states that require mudflaps. That doesn't mean they enforce the law.

There are quite a few states that require front license plates. It has been in the vehicle code in California for years, but really not enforced much until recently. There are a few people in office and law enforcement that seem to be losing sleep over the fact that someone would run past a red-light camera without a front license plate, thus not get cited for it.

Really, I don't see what the fuss is over the requirement of a front license plate. As far as I'm concerned it is a non-issue.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
PA does not have front license plates. The idea of a front plate predates redlight cameras by decades, what I got told was that front plates make it much more efficient to write parking tickets since they don't have to walk around to the back of each car.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals