• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

When do I change the timing chain?

jimmyess333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On my old cars with timing chains I never touched the chain unless I was building a high performance motor or one of the gears wore down causing it to jump a tooth.
With the Ranger 2.3 is there a certain mileage it should be swapped out or do you simply wait for it to fail?
Is the 2.3 an interference engine?

SMTGREG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MGB
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Transmission
Manual
Yes the engine is an interference engine.... The chain and tensioner should last the life of the engine with regular oil changes. WARNING do not loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt. the crank gear is NOT keyed to the shaft. The gear will slip and cause engine damage...

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The timing belt should be replaced @ 100,000, however age should be considered too. On an 07' you're in good shape. My 99' 2.5 has 47,000 and I plan to replace it soon due to visible stress cracks....

Last edited:

jimmyess333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The timing belt should be replaced @ 100,000, however age should be considered too. On an 07' you're in good shape. My 99' 2.5 has 47,000 and I plan to replace it soon due to visible stress cracks....
On engines with timing belts I just go by the manufacturer's recomended interval but my engine has a chain and I found no such interval.

If the chain is supposed to be left alone for the life of the engine I'll wait until around 200,000 miles but I wanted to make sure first.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It's good for the life of the engine, leave it alone.

jimmyess333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info guys.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This is the Duratec section.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
when the timing chain slips or breaks it's normally time for a rebuild anyway.
My other truck is a 96 F150 supercab with a straight 6 and it has 310,000 miles on it.........still has original timing chain but has had 2 transmissions and 3 rear main oil seals so far.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
This is the Duratec section.
Even on a Lima the belt is usually good for the life of the engine, I personally have seen 3 go over 200K without being changed, and once it breaks, just replace and keep driving... God, I love the Lima....

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Even on a Lima the belt is usually good for the life of the engine, I personally have seen 3 go over 200K without being changed, and once it breaks, just replace and keep driving... God, I love the Lima....
The Ranger owner's manual says to inspect the timing belt condition at 120,000 miles. I would replace it at 100K just to be sure.
The Lima 2.3/2.5 and 300 cid straight 6 are Fords version of the chrysler slant 6.....bullet proof.

Last edited:

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The Ranger owner's manual says to inspect the timing belt condition at 120,000 miles. I would replace it at 100K just to be sure.
The Lima 2.3/2.5 and 300 cid straight 6 are Fords version of the chrysler slant 6.....bullet proof.
Why change it if it still works? If it ain't broke don't fix it... When it does break, then you can fix it... There really isn't any reason to replace your timing belt unless it breaks...

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why change it if it still works? If it ain't broke don't fix it... When it does break, then you can fix it... There really isn't any reason to replace your timing belt unless it breaks...

If you want to take a chance and have the belt break or jump time in the middle of nowhere, by all means push it. You can't assume that it'll always break in your driveway.
Let's figure it out here:
Replace the belt at 100,000 miles....$35 for the belt......$8 for anti freeze.....$45 for a water pump.......$10 gasket......$12 tstat.....$40 belt tensioner......plus the time involved. Total $150. It would be common sense to change the water pump and tstat since you'll have it apart anyway.

Waiting till it breaks:
All the above plus $150-$300(depending on the distance) for a flatbed tow plus the $150. Not to mention the major inconvenience of waiting for a tow.

When you look at it logically, it's a no brainer. Why flush the radiator or change oil or replace fan belts until it breaks too?????

Last edited:

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you want to take a chance and have the belt break or jump time in the middle of nowhere, by all means push it. You can't assume that it'll always break in your driveway.
Let's figure it out here:
Replace the belt at 100,000 miles....$35 for the belt......$8 for anti freeze.....$45 for a water pump.......$10 gasket......$12 tstat.....$40 belt tensioner......plus the time involved. Total $150. It would be common sense to change the water pump and tstat since you'll have it apart anyway.

Waiting till it breaks:
All the above plus $150-$300(depending on the distance) for a flatbed tow plus the $150. Not to mention the major inconvenience of waiting for a tow.

When you look at it logically, it's a no brainer. Why flush the radiator or change oil or replace fan belts until it breaks too?????
Ok, you get me there... My truck doesn't go anywhere far, so it's not an inconvenience if it's breaks on the road...

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, you get me there... My truck doesn't go anywhere far, so it's not an inconvenience if it's breaks on the road...
I drive through the Ocala National Forest on SR40 twice a month (220 miles round trip)for checkups at the VA Hospital in Gainesville, Fl. That would suck if I was stranded. I had a tough time the first time I replaced a timing belt, but next time it should be a piece of cake. I know that timing belts made today last darn near twice as long as the ones made 20 years ago, thank goodness.

AceRock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay so I see conflicting info here. Does the duratec 2.3 have a timing chain or belt?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals