• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Post your tow rigs here!!!

adkins112

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2002 f-250 7.3L diesel ts chip, built auto, ball bearing turbo, 5" exhaust, afe intake, 35" mickey thompsons

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My nissan has a 3.3 v6 the 4.0 didnt come in till the 2nd gen
Ahhh...

I guess it would be slow then.

I can't keep Gen's apart. We have a '93 Pathfinder in the family--been passed around like the village bike. My dad has had it for several years because it's their only 4x4 up there in northern Iowa and my mom uses it in the winter to do visitations--she's a Lutheran minister. I towed things with it and it was fine--as long as you keep the tach at 4,000rpm.

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
Ahhh...

I guess it would be slow then.

I can't keep Gen's apart. We have a '93 Pathfinder in the family--been passed around like the village bike. My dad has had it for several years because it's their only 4x4 up there in northern Iowa and my mom uses it in the winter to do visitations--she's a Lutheran minister. I towed things with it and it was fine--as long as you keep the tach at 4,000rpm.
Actually its kinda the opposite problem its geard right so it shoots to 50 pretty quick but 60mph is a struggle b/c ts at 3200 rpm with OD off and if I turn the Od on it just bounces on an off of it and thats not good for the trans 70mph straiht and true down the interstate is fine though.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, stuck between gears is the age-old problem. Our Pathfinder with it's 4-link rear would lift the rear end up with a trailer on it and actually spin a tire when taking off hard from a stop. It was very annoying.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The question was how can you afford to daily drive it. I drive 1,000 miles a month. If I had a 14mpg vehicle (which that isn't in town) I would pay $3,000/year in gas. I stopped daily driving my full-size and got the 39mpg Honda which would save me $1,900/year over a 14mpg truck--and probably well over $2,000 year if I drove yours. I drive my full-size about once a week now--and on trips when I have to haul shit across the country. The little car will have paid for itself by about New Years.
some friends of my family's all drive new duramaxes, and this year all 4 boys (1 dad and 3 sons) admitted to paying over $15000 in fuel EACH. NO TYPO. thats how you know you have too much ,money.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
some friends of my family's all drive new duramaxes, and this year all 4 boys (1 dad and 3 sons) admitted to paying over $15000 in fuel EACH. NO TYPO. thats how you know you have too much ,money.

Seriously? I haven't even spent $1,200 on fuel this year, and that's through about 500 gallons of fuel, and around 8,000 miles. To spend that much money, figuring the average cost of diesel in the last year was $2.41, that means they'd have to have burned over 6200 gallons of diesel. Figure 14mpg average, that'd mean they drove 87,100 miles EACH.

I would really question these folks' credibility.

85DANGERanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
heres my tow rig..all 532hp and 1025ft lbs of it!!

85DANGERanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seriously? I haven't even spent $1,200 on fuel this year, and that's through about 500 gallons of fuel, and around 8,000 miles. To spend that much money, figuring the average cost of diesel in the last year was $2.41, that means they'd have to have burned over 6200 gallons of diesel. Figure 14mpg average, that'd mean they drove 87,100 miles EACH.

I would really question these folks' credibility.
id agree, these new diesels out now adays with the DPF get HORRIBLE fuel milage, specially when there brand new and dont have any miles on them. i drove my company truck,, 08' ford f350 powerstroke 6.4 from indianapolis to tuscan, arizonia and averaged 6.5 mpg pulling a tandem axle inclosed with about 8k pounds in it.. the emissions crap is killing the new diesels fuel milage. in my 04; chevy duramax i get between 18-22 mpg

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

choped84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
3 84's, 1 85
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.8L / 300 I6
Transmission
Manual
1983 f-250, 7.3 diesel, ats turbo, 4'' turbo back exhaust into 5" stacks,

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
id agree, these new diesels out now adays with the DPF get HORRIBLE fuel milage, specially when there brand new and dont have any miles on them. i drove my company truck,, 08' ford f350 powerstroke 6.4 from indianapolis to tuscan, arizonia and averaged 6.5 mpg pulling a tandem axle inclosed with about 8k pounds in it.. the emissions crap is killing the new diesels fuel milage. in my 04; chevy duramax i get between 18-22 mpg
The lack of desire from the manufacturer to develop better engines is killing mileage. My one work truck, powered with a Volvo D13, is a 485 hp 6 cyl diesel and it gets that mileage pulling at 107k pounds total. Why can Volvo get that mileage while our Macks get 4 or so with the same Eaton-Fuller 10 spd?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The lack of desire from the manufacturer to develop better engines is killing mileage. My one work truck, powered with a Volvo D13, is a 485 hp 6 cyl diesel and it gets that mileage pulling at 107k pounds total. Why can Volvo get that mileage while our Macks get 4 or so with the same Eaton-Fuller 10 spd?
Different emissions standards. In their defence, I have never heard of a Powerstroke get THAT bad of milage. It is usually about twice that, which isn't all that great either.

Ford is ditching the Navistar diesel in the near future anyway.

85DANGERanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ever brake the tierods or axle shafts on that while pulling the sleds? Chevys and GMCs are infomaus for blowing out the front ends while pulling sleds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHJR0IqqKkc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxoAbEVqD9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfauOXbqKLQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_PmoCSqRaw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT6Lqj-_eSo
yes, they will break if you dont inforce them, $90 set of sleeves fixes the tierod breaking problems and lowering the torsion bars will prevent the half shafts from breaking, but i rarely see halfshafts break, only on lifted trucks with a lot of angle on there shafts. alot of the guys dont know what there doin and built up there truck and forget about the front end, yes, IFS sucks but it doesnt take much to bulletproof them..

Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Different emissions standards. In their defence, I have never heard of a Powerstroke get THAT bad of milage. It is usually about twice that, which isn't all that great either.

Ford is ditching the Navistar diesel in the near future anyway.
The 2010 HD truck standards are very strict. Not much different than those on diesel light-duty trucks.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 2010 HD truck standards are very strict. Not much different than those on diesel light-duty trucks.
Like I alluded to before, that isn't typical milage for a 6.4 anyway. They usually get at least twice that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals